Sign in to follow this  
Neotobeo

Summarizing Data

Neotobeo

Hey Gang: I am sure this topic has been covered, however, I would appreciate a rehash of the methodology.

The database:

Year.table with related patient.table

patient.table has mutliple related tables (diagnosis, procedures, etc).

I would like to summarize in the year.table the total of each diagnosis, procedure etc.

For example: during 2004 I have admitted 1000 patients and each has multiple diagnoses. i would like to have a summary of teh number of each diagnosis:

Sepsis 10

Pneumonia 3

etc.

Thanks

aaa

Tell what fields you have in year table!

aaa

Tel what fields you have in year table?

aaa

What fields you have in year table? How you want to see summarys in this yaer table?

Neotobeo

I set up the year table to with only a few fields:

year

month

The patient table relates to the year table through these two fields. All the daughter tables that are patient specific (diagnosis, procedures, antibiotics....) relate to the patient table.

I can place portals on the year table summarizing data from the daughter tables that are related to the patient table and occurred during the specific year and month in question.

I have figured out how to show all the diagnoses that occured during Nov 2004 (209 separate diagnoses....10 pneumonias, 3 shock, 4 other, etc...) Instead of seeing all 209 entries, I would like the list to show:

Pneumonias 10

shock 4

Rash 2

Thanks

Ender

It would be easier to summarize if the different diagnosis were all in one Diagnosis table, with fields PatientID, DiagnosisType, Diagnosis, and Date.

If the fields are scattered throughout multiple fields in different tables, it's a bit more work. I think it's possible to summarize this in a portal view by using a separate Summary table, where each record is one field's summary for one year. I got this to work by defining fields:

Field Name (text)

Count of Field (calculation, number result) = Count(getfield(Field Name))

Year (number)

By typing in the field name (with relationship) of each field you want to summarize in a separate record, you can see the count.

If you send me your email address in a private message, I can send you a demo.

aaa

But why you dont want to create this report in Diagnoses file? It seems that this will be very easy in this file.

Ender
I would like to summarize in the year.table the total of each diagnosis, procedure etc.
All the daughter tables that are patient specific (diagnosis, procedures, antibiotics....) relate to the patient table.
You cannot summarize the different "daughter" tables in the Diagnosis table.

If each Diagnosis record is just one diagnosis with a diagnosis type, then you can use a sub-summary report to group and count the diagnosis in the format you indicated. But summaries for Procedure, Antibiotics, and any other "daughter" tables would need to be generated in their own sub-summary reports based on those tables.

I can place portals on the year table summarizing data from the daughter tables that are related to the patient table and occurred during the specific year and month in question.
It sounds like your Patient table is really a Patient Visit (What happens when the same patient visits again in the same year? Or next year? Is a new record created?) If this is the case, then you should rename your Patient table to be PatientVisit and add a Patient table where each record is one patient's basic information.

Neotobeo

I think I failed to explain the actual structure of my fp7; the program was designed to capture information on patients admitted to an intensive care unit and cared for during their admission; they are never readmitted; they stay between 1 day and 6 months; they have multiple diagnoses, procedures, etc.

The patient table is the main table with one time information; there are multiple tables related to this table in many to one:

procedures

daignosis

lines

antibiotics

Each can obviously have multiple occurances for each patient (e.g. John Smith was admitted 1/1/04, Stayed 45 days, had 34 separate diagnoses, 20days of antibiotics, etc).

I am not interested in summarizing data on each individual patient; I need to summarize data on a month by month or year by year basis; thus, the addition of the year table which relates to the patient table:

The year table shows all of the data from a specific month and year; for example: I can display all diagnoses (from all patients) that were assigned during the month of Nov 2004. This may be 200 seperate diagnoses, of which 15 may be pneumonia; instead of seeing pneumonia listed 15 times, I would like;

Pneumonia 15

Sepsis 8

Shock 6

Ender

This sounds like a good use for a sub-summary report. It won't be accessible in Browse Mode, but it makes for a good printout.

You'll need a sumary field:

Count of Records (summary) = Count of RecordID

For the layout, use a columnar report in a layout based on the Diagnosis table. You can replace the Body with a Sub-Summary by Diagnosis part. Insert the Diagnosis and Count of Records fields. When you sort by Diagnosis, and preview or print, the summary info will show up.

You will need to script it to find just the ones for a specific Month/Year.

This thread is quite old. Please start a new thread rather than reviving this one.