Sign in to follow this  
sal88

Shortcut?

sal88

A bit of a trivial problem but nonetheless it would be nice to have it fixed. We have set up an FM7 database on a network of 3 or 4 computers. All the client PCs run the database off the server. One slightly annoying thing is that the only way to open the database is by going to file->open remote. is there any way to have a shortcut to the database? or any other solution?

Many Thanks

Inky Phil

Hi Sal

I do not know if this works in 7 but in earlier versions what one usually did was create a new, empty database.

Host it locally on each machine and attach a one line script to open the file that is on the server.

If you then make this the script that this database runs on opening, all you have to do is create a shortcut on your desktop pointing to this dbase and that should do it

HTH

Regards

Phil

Johnny Boy

That solution does not work in 7. I have yet to figure this one out either. Can the Brain trust please shed some light here.

Thanks!

John

Henk B

Not true. Opener files function correctly in FM7.

Johnny Boy

Henk

Perhaps I need to be more specific. When I tried this approach in 7 I could not get it to work. If I make an empty DB in 7 and use a script to open a hosted file I get an error that says that the file I am attempting to open is already open, in use. Have you had a different experience? I'm working with both 7 and 7 server.

Thanks,

John

Ender

It works for me.

The error you are seeing sounds like one some of my OS X users stumbled across (this was with FM6, though it might still happen in FM7.) If there was a document in the user's documents folder with the same name as the remote file, FileMaker would attempt to open that instead of the remote database.

Henk B

Do not try to open the database directly with the file system.

Make sure the script uses the "open remote..." menu option.

Trap errors in case the remote database is not open or the network is down.

Johnny Boy

Henk

Thanks for your help. I'll give it a try.

John

dr magic fingers

Well, the problem is that the 'open remote' script step doesn't allow you to specify the exact host and file to open, it only opens up the dialog window-- I would MUCH prefer being able to make this a single click solution for my users, but an earlier posted idea to make a startup file with the scripted 'open remote' step doesn't work that way in v7.

Matt

Ender

Don't use Open Remote. Use a file reference to the remote file, then have a script in the opener launch a startup script in the remote file.

Henk B

It's right. I'm not using 'Open Remote...' in my opener file.

The script step I use is

Open File [ "YourDatabase" ]

With this script step selected, choose 'Define File References...' in the menu in the lower right and select a line or choose 'New...'. You can now edit the line.

It should look like:

fmnet:/[iP# of your FM Server]/YourDatabase

Johnny Boy

Henk

I'm still getting the dreaded "File currently in use" warning. Any thoughts on what I'm missing?

Thanks,

John

Johnny Boy

Ender

I tried what I think you suggested with the same results. Any ideas on where I'm missing it?

Thanks,

John

Ender

I'm stumped.

Maarten Witberg

Is the file set to share or exclusive?

kjoe

smile.gif

Robert Schaub

Have or did any of the users get booted out of the file at anytime.

The server file may need to be restarted. We see this quite often, Either file is in use or Damaged and can not be opened.

After restartinfg everything is cool.

also the open command should look like

Open [yourfile *] the asterisk symbolizes host.

Now for the host . Is a server or ans client machine. Is the client always started first?

Johnny Boy

All files (there are 4) open and share with no problem if I use open remote and then manualy choose the file I want to open. I'm stumped also.

John

This thread is quite old. Please start a new thread rather than reviving this one.