Sign in to follow this  
sal88

Filemaker Newbie

sal88

Hi there, i was wondering if anyone could answer some fairly straight forward (but vague at the same time) questions.

Basically i have been using MS Access up till now and have a good knowledge of how it works. But i have now started to try and use Filemaker. My problem is that i don't understand how any of it works. When i am trying to edit a database i can't seem to find any flexibility in altering anything, not the "design view" that i am used to in Access. But i'm sure there must be as there are so may posts on this forum. I can't seem to find any way of actaully seeing how the whole database links together. Am i missing something here perhaps? is there a special editing section of the program or something?

Also, the database i have at the moment is slow when i click on buttons that link to another database, is it slow because it is going to another database, or is it something else?

Any help whatsoever appreciated

thanks!

Greg F.

Under the view menu the equivalent of "design view" is Layout Mode.

Although the manual and Help files are very basic and lack any kind of depth they should get you started with this.

From there you really need to buy a "Getting Started With Filemaker" book or even jump straight to an advanced book if are good with Access and know how a DB works.

recyc

Can you recommend good books on Filemaker Pro 7? I hear O'Reilly has a good one coming out in December - there must be other good books.

Tyson

If You want the absolute best get lynda.com Learning filemaker 7 . They have the videos. There is everything you need to know. If you were using access then, now ur going to see the power of a real database.

Just know if u can think it it can be done!

-Tyson

gwent

I am also a FMP "newbie" and purchased "Using FileMaker 7" published by QUE. So far it's been an impressive work.

gw

Johnny Boy

Sal88

I switched from Access @ FMPv5 - stay at it, all of a sudden it will come together. FMP learning curve is much better and with 7 it's more like access (the good parts) everyday.

John

sal88

thanks for the replies everyone!

another question: does FM7 have any problems running databases on networks? becuase the fm5 version of one is extremely slow on the network

thx

Johnny Boy

Yes 5 was sloooooow. 7 is a much faster beast.

John

sal88

indeed it is a much faster beast as i have just discovered! However, there is one layout that is still fairly slow after the conversion to fm7, as it was in fm5. Could it possibly be to do with the fact that is has 80 fields? or anything else perhaps? how would i go about fixing it?

thanks!

This thread is quite old. Please start a new thread rather than reviving this one.