Sign in to follow this  
Maarten Witberg

dev 7 options

Maarten Witberg

Hi

I am considering buying developer 7. From all the threads I think hey, yeah!

I know this:

- dev 7 allows to make custom functions.

- developer solutions can be used as compiled standalone

now I'd like to know this

can a dev 7 solution be used

- as a normal file in server (7) environment

- and do custom functions work then?

thanks

kjoe

smile.gif

andygaunt

Kjoe -

Developer 7 is just like a FileMaker 7 client. If you create your file inside of Developer 7 you can use that file in a FileMaker 7 Server environment. You do not have to bind a standalone runtime.

custom functios will work in a multi user environment. You use Developer 7 to build them. Once they are built they are available to any table in that file.

You can also use FileMaker Developer 7 to rename files and update all internal relatioships and scripts.

As an addition Developer 7 will now ship with the ability to test a solution for Server 7 Advancedby including a FileMaker Server 7 Advanced Development License http://www.fmpro.org/news/210242722818/

HTH

Maarten Witberg

Thanks for the information Andy.

Kjoe

smile.gif

andygaunt

Kjoe -

You are welcome.

As an addition to my previous post, if you already own a copy of Develoepr 7 you can get the new Server 7 Advanced Development License.

Starting yesterday, existing FileMaker Developer 7 customers can purchase this license and software for a nominal transaction fee of $10 US (plus shipping, handling, and taxes) direct from FileMaker at http://store.filemaker.com/fms7ad_lic.html through December 31, 2004. Proof of FileMaker Developer 7 license is required.

CobaltSky
...As an addition Developer 7 will now ship with the ability to test a solution for Server 7 Advancedby including a FileMaker Server 7 Advanced Development License/snip[/QB]
Hi Andy,

And isn't *that* the coolest thing.

Moreover it's my understanding that existing owners can get hold of a copy of the 'developer' version of FMS Advanced ffrom FMI for a nominal fee (covering the media and post charges I guess). A very well thought out move on the part of FMI!

andygaunt

I pre-empted your post on that one Ray!!! laugh.gif

and yes, it is very cool.

frigante

Hey guys, what's this Server 7 Advanced Development License?? I have and use Developer 7 - does this mean that I can get Server 7 for $10??? What's the hitch???

andygaunt

Frigante -

This new license is for development testing only. If you intend to use Server 7 Advanced you can test your solution ahead of time without purchasing the software. Also if you are developing many solutions you can test without having to purchase the whole product.

Below is an snippet from the press release found at http://www.fmpro.org/news/210242722818/

FileMaker Server 7 Advanced is an enhanced version of FileMaker Server that includes robust web publishing and connectivity options. The new Development license and bundled software includes the capabilities of FileMaker Server 7 Advanced, including electronic documentation, and allows up to three simultaneous FileMaker 7 desktop-based networked clients (full retail version allows up to 250 users) and three simultaneous web-based clients to access hosted FileMaker solutions (full retail version allows up to 100 web clients). The license may only be used for development and testing purposes; it may not be used in a production environment.

frigante

Well that is an incredibly good move on the part of FMI...

I can't wait to see how it works on our G5 dual-2GHz!

This thread is quite old. Please start a new thread rather than reviving this one.