Sign in to follow this  
salon21

HELP Keywordlist HOW???

salon21

hi

i´m very new to this forum an i hope my topic wasn´t there befor. at least i didn´t finf it in the search. ok, here is my problem:

1. i´m very new to filemaker ;-)

2. i need to programm a keywordlist like this:

i have 1000+ records and i need to sort the. so i want to ad keywords to a list. some of them i want to take from the list, if they are there already. if no, i want to be able to insert them in the list.

now next step ist, that i can choose words from this list as a filter, to see only the records that are assigned to this or these keyword/s.

how can i do this? it should be thes same as in the photopreset for "filemaker 7" but i don´t know how this works. confused.gif

hope you can help me.

FileMakin' Tom

I commonly use a keywords field for vendor lists which allow one to search for a specific product or service quickly. Simply create a keywords field and then create a script that goes a special find layout and enters find mode, pauses at the keywords field (which can be be a pop-up with the most common search words)and when the script is UN-paused, returns to a data entry screen for a single found record or a list view if more than one is found.

Quick, efficient and if scripted corre4ctly, foolproof.

Be well . . .

Tom

salon21

do you know where i can find a "step by step" for this, cause i don´t have a idea how to make scripts.

question: is you keywordsfield static or could it be changed form browser-view?

Robert Schaub

Look in your FM 6 folder / Templates / Photo Catalog

These files use Keywords. Open them up and study.

salon21

i looked at it bevor. without knowing how it was done, it´s not much help. also i don´t think the need for a keyword funktion is that rare. there must be a quick and easy way to do this, without learning all the stuff. atleast i hope so

FileMakin' Tom

Create a "Find" screen which has only the Keywords field on it. Set the keywords field to be a pop-up with the most commonly used keywords in it. Allow it to be editable.

Script:

Enter Browse Mode

Set User Abort (Off)

Set Error Capture (On)

Go to Layout (KeywordFind)

Go to Field (Select/Perform, Keywords)

Enter Find Mode (Pause)

Perform Find

If Status(CurrentFoundCount) => 2

Run another script to go to some list view to display the choice

Else

If Status (CurrentFoundCount)= 1

Go to what ever layout you wish

Else

Beep

Show Message [one button = OK] ("No records were found which matched the supplied criteria")

Show All Records

Go to Layout (Whatever layout you wish)

EndIf

EndIf

Exit Script

This will provide for finding 1, 2 or more or no records

Be well . . .

Tom laugh.gif

salon21

THX Tom, that looks very good and easy too smile.gif

would it be difficult to do this with more than one keyword?

how would the design&script look like with this "multible choice" option?

ps.: i started learning the FM codelanguage, but knowing the code and using it is very differnt. wink.gif

FileMakin' Tom

Multiple choices are created in find mode in FMP by using the New Record/Request command following the entrance of a single find parameter, but BEFORE activating the find. On your special find screen, you could have a button which calls another find before the button which activates the find. Clicking it would set up an additional find request into which the second (or third or fourth - ad infinitum) find would be entered to add it to the list of things to find in that specific field.

When all criteria is entered, then activate the find by clicking the appropriate button which is a "Pause/Resume" button to continue the original script.

Be well . . .

Tom laugh.gif

This thread is quite old. Please start a new thread rather than reviving this one.