Sign in to follow this  
Leoff

Plug-Ins

Leoff

As naive as this sounds...can someone please explain 'Plug-Ins'. I have selected the 'AutoUpdate' and 'TextFormation' boxes in my preferences. But,

a) I am not certain what a plug-in really is nor what it does.

b) How can I use them?

c) I know there are useful additional plug-ins out there so I would like to maximize my knowledge and application.

Much thanks!

Leoff smile.gif

Johnny Boy

Leoff

Go to the FMP site filemaker.com and search on plug ins it will do a much better job than I can.

John

Leoff

John,

Your response is much appreciated...thanks, but I still don't see a simple clear explanation of what they are and how I use them...will keep my search going for an 'easy' definition...

Leoff smile.gif

Leoff

...can anyone offer me a simple explanation about plug-ins? frown.gif

Much thanks...

LaRetta

Plug-ins are additional programs which extend FM's functionality. They come with an *.fmx file which is placed in FM Extensions folder and they will then appear in Edit > Preferences > Plug-ins tab with a checkmark.

If you then view a calculation box and look for External (bottom of the 'View' popup, you will see a list of additional functions they will perform.

And, yeah, this really isn't explained anywhere. It's just assumed everyone knows. The plug-ins usually include documentation which steps you through it though. smile.gif

LaRetta

harryglos

Hi LaRetta,

You go girl! Simple, concise and to the point! It just don't get any better. Your only concern is Andy may jump into this post with a bunch of letters like “ROFLMAO”... I mean ‘Whats that about”?

Harry

LaRetta

Hi Harry! ROFLMAO - Roll On Floor Laughing .. oh, uh, well, it's funny even though I can't finish it. smile.gif

Andy is the king of concise and acronyms save time. He pulls them on me quite frequently! Here's a quick way to drive your friends crazy - turn everything into one and then watch them go nuts trying to figure them out.

Custom Function Acronyms

You'll get the jump on Andy! Oooops! He might read this though! :rolleyes: laugh.gif

LaRetta

Leoff

...thanks so much!! I appreciate your understanding that I have had difficulty simply finding an explanation for what plugs-in are, where to put them, how to access them and how to use them! You've been of trermendous help!

Do you have any suggestions for a superb calendar program? I am looking for a super solution so I can make multiple appointments for multiple people (doctors actually) for multiple times that can be used on my new FM7...

Much thanks again!

Leoff smile.gif

harryglos

Hi Leoff,

Go to www.clevelandconsulting.com they have a free calendar program for both FMP 6 & 7. They also have versions you can buy with more bells and whistles. But this will get you going in the right direction.

The good news is I think there are more calendar solutions out there thany anything else. So snoop around the FileMaker community and you'll find everything you need... Have fun looking it's a great group of people and the knowledge base is fantastic.

Harry

Leoff

Harry,

Much thanks for the info...actually I have recently purchased the Pro version from Cleveland. They have been helpful, but I fear there are some shortcomings for my solution. So, I was sending out a flag for some additional insight.

I'll keep snooping. And, you are RIGHT! The FM community is quite sharing and extremely cool!

Leoff smile.gif

harryglos

Hi Leoff,

I fear there are some shortcomings for my solution

Let us know if you would like to elaborate on that statement. There is not a one of us, that doesn't look at something we’re doing and say "is this the right way to do this"! We may not say it out load, because our wives may hear it, but we say it! What I don't want to have happen is we help you just enough to get you in trouble. You know like "knowing just enough karate to get yourself killed"... So if you want to give us a little more information, we’ll help you.

Harry

Leoff

Harry,

Thanks much for your concerns. I do GREATLY appreciate it...

FileMaker has been a program I have toyed with now since my ol' Mac days and version 1.0 most likely. So, although I am not new to FM, I have not really dabbled as much as I might have. I've created many FM solutions, but never really gotten into 'chatting' with others about the real amazing solutions offered by 'cross-pollinating' with other FM folks...so, the information offered here is MOST welcomed. I kinda look at the info offered as a tune up to a machine running on some cylinders that can simply do better. I already come here with more than enough info to know I need more. I feel the more my knowledge expands...the more my ignorance unfolds!

Much thanks again...

Leoff smile.gif

Leoff

Harry,

I guess the solution I am looking for at the moment will add depth and flexibility to a solution I am working on for a chiropractor. I need to make multiple apppointments in a calendar for a couple of doctors with multiple resources that can be seen at the same time yet viewed in so many various ways. The people at Cleveland have been co-operative but I see so limitations in their add-on.

So, hopefully there is a reasonable solution out there. But, if not...I will indeed make due.

Thanks so much for your input...

Leoff smile.gif

harryglos

Hi Leoff,

I'll need a few days to look through my files, but I'm sure I have something that will maybe get you a little closer to what your trying to do. I'll get it to you and it will be open so you can make any changes to it that you please.

You're going the right direction with your statement "I feel the more my knowledge expands... the more my ignorance unfolds"! It's a constant learning curve and the knowledge people have in the FileMaker community can be quite humbling at times... And that's a good thing! Their willingness to share is the best thing...

Harry

Leoff

...agreed about the FM community here, very warm and informative...

GREAT with regard to your research. I so appreciate it! Hopefully you have a general overview of what I am trying to achieve...if not, please just let me know and I will get into further detail.

Much thanks again...

Leoff smile.gif

This thread is quite old. Please start a new thread rather than reviving this one.