Sign in to follow this  
Nam

.fp5 files

Nam

Hi there,

I have FMP version 7.0 and all my co-workers have version 5.5. All of our databases were created with version 5.5. When I try to open up a database I get a message saying I need to convert the file to version 7.0 format. After doing so and modifying a few layouts and closing out my co-workers are not able to access the the files since it has a .fp7 extension.

Do my co-workers all need to get version 7.0 as well? Is there any way around it?

Thanks in advance.

Nam

frigante

Not much you can do here, Nam. You need to have everyone working on one system, so you either have to go down to version 5.5 or your co-workers have to upgrade to version 7.0 ...

The only exception would be if you were hosting the files using instant web publishing and your co-workers connected via a web browser.

Robert Schaub
Originally posted by Nam:

[qb] Hi there,

I have FMP version 7.0 and all my co-workers have version 5.5. All of our databases were created with version 5.5. When I try to open up a database I get a message saying I need to convert the file to version 7.0 format. After doing so and modifying a few layouts and closing out my co-workers are not able to access the the files since it has a .fp7 extension.

Do my co-workers all need to get version 7.0 as well? Is there any way around it?

Thanks in advance.

Nam [/qb]

FileMaker 7 is not capatible with 6.0 or lower. (It as you will convert these files to FP7 - Like when 5.0 came out it was not captible with 4.0 and lower)

You need to either find a 6.0 version or you need to upgrade everyone to 7. However before upgading all machines must be running either XP or OS10.x

Why your users can not access files after you opened them in FP7. You convertted the file to 7 OK no problem for you. By doing this you changed the name of the 5.5 files to FileName.fp5.old or something like it. For the users to be able to access you need to change 5.5 filenames back to their original names.

Leader

I need to ask a more basic question:

Are your colleagues developers too?

If so, the above answers apply.

If they're merely DB users, they could access your new files via file sharing or web sharing.

Nam

I am the only developer in my department. I have four others in my department who are just users (accessing the database and enter information only and get statistics).

If I do a file share, do I need to convert the FP7 file down to the FP5 format?

Thanks,

Nam

-Queue-

FP7 files cannot be converted to FP5s. Only the reverse is true.

jimpres

The only way so far is to export your record information from fp7 in a .slk format and then import that information into fp5/fp6.

If you have lots of field definitions it is very tedious.

gwent

Good Day Nam,

I am having pretty good success with Instant Web Publishing with a solution I created in FileMaker Pro 7. You should try using it before going to expense of upgrading Hardware and Software. Since you are te only Developer you must have been sharig the file in FMP5. Instant Web Publishing only requires a Browser basically and you can enable it on your workstation.

Of course this assumes all others are networked with you.

greg

This thread is quite old. Please start a new thread rather than reviving this one.