Sign in to follow this  
Kimberly

I need help with my database from someone!!!

Kimberly

Hi there!

I have a database almost finished and I have two problems which I cannot get figured out to finish it up. Is there anyone who could possibly look at the database for me and is familar enough with filemaker to where they could fix the problems for me or tell me exactly what I need to do???? If anyone can help me, that will be greatly appreciated!!!! It is an emergency that I get this fixed asap! Thank you!

Kimberly

blackcat

kimberly

rather than send out your solution & hence letting others potentially use all your hard earned work for nothing why not try to explain in detail your problems so that you can then get relavent answers.

only as a very last resort should you send out your solutions & then pick someone you feel comfortable with. If you need to do this I personally would suggest 'Coboltsky' I feel Ray is trust worthy & could sort you out in no time.

Don't forget these forums are here to help everybody with any issues, don't be afraid if you explanations don't sound right, member will ask the right questions to guide you.

Good Luck & most of all enjoy! theres almost nothing better than understanding a fix to a probelm.

HTH

Steve

blackcat

PS

I mean no disrespect to anyone else when I mentioned only Coboltsky all you other guys are cool also!!!

Steve

Maarten Witberg

Hi Steve, Kimberly also,

Steve is probably right advising you not to be too naieve with what you show to other people. On the other hand, resources like this BB do rely on opennes. If you don't tell what you're working on and what your solution must look like, then no help is possible.

it's sort of open source in here but without the GNU public license (maybe we should have one?). I do realise I may have a lopsided view bcos what I develop is purely for the use of the company I work for and not for sale.

But on the whole, being too secretive is being unproductive. Most of what's published on this site is of high standard and therefore worth a good deal of money. So are links to free resources frequently posted here, such as to Andy's sample webpages and whatever else may be found on the Maclane site.

If you tell me how to do such-and-so and save me a lot of time finding out for myself, you save my company money. But the good thing is, it costs nothing for no-one because we're in a barter economy here. I trade my help for any help to me, if available. It's a gamble, but I find it more than pays off.

kjoe

smile.gif

harryglos

Hi Kimberly,

There is reason for caution, secrecy and a confidential approach to what, who and how you show your database. But only you know if there are portions of the database that you feel are proprietary. I have always followed this simple rule of thumb. I’m sure you have heard the expression “If it ain’t broke don’t fix it”! In database-dom the expression is “Never put off until tomorrow what you can do today. Because if you like it today, you can do it again tomorrow”. Now, you may ask yourself “what does that have to do with anything”? I have no idea, but I’m sure it needed to be said...

Here’s the deal. If you put together a database, but is not something you feel is proprietary in nature. Share it with the forum and you will get some expert advice. If you feel there are some proprietary features to your database and would not want to share it in total for that reason. No problem. Just tell us (in detail) where you need help and the forum will help you!

The only thing I don’t like about sending your database and having someone fix it is you lose an important learning experience. But you do what you think you need to do and you have come to the right place for the answers.

Steve, just for the record. That PS was a feeble attempt at re-ingratiating yourself to the forum. And why are you sucking up to Ray, you already have his fee downloads. Plus you make me say things like “re-ingratiating” and thats never good! So Steve, you learn to play nice with others! smile.gif

Harry

blackcat

Harry,Harry,Harry!

'That PS was a feeble attempt at re-ingratiating yourself to the forum'

didn't know I had to “re-ingratiate” myself, I was just advising that I have no preference to whom I would advie to get help from.

Next time I'll suggest yourself hows that?

Kimberly is probably now wondering what shes started, don't worry Kimberly its just harmless banter!!

Now if anybody else would like me to put them on my list of who to recommend in next order please let me know, be quick now it could be along list smile.gif

Kimberly please feel free to ignore the other parts of this thread & advise you queries so we can all help out.

Steve:)

andygaunt

Steve -

I'll go on your list laugh.gif . Always happy to make a fellow cafe member feel more 'ingratiated!'

Already got a mention by Kjoe, so this would make two for me!!! tongue.gif

harryglos

Hi Andy,

I was on a list once... Opps I can't go there!

Harry

Maarten Witberg

Andy

I don't do lists. I just stated what I think is valuable. Please feel free to feel sucked up to, but remember that is just an unintended side effect. laugh.gif

kjoe

smile.gif

frigante

At least the non-existant list you speak of is a good list and not a Nixon-style 'deathlist' of any sort...

blackcat

Frigante

what to you mean non-existent list! Your on it now.

I call it 'The list of Ingratiatee's'

BE WELL!!!

Steve

frigante

That almost looked like 'The list of Ingrates' at first...I almost had YOU on MY list at that point!

harryglos

Kimberly,

We've all had some fun here but I just wanted to make sure we answered your question. I feel we may have left you hanging, so please let us know if we can help you further.

Harry

Bush

Great, you guys scared her off!

Maarten Witberg

Or she went on a holiday

kjoe

smile.gif

Leoff

...poor Kimberly. Almost a ompleted DB and now she is sitting quietly in a corner in Nashville. Come out come out wherever you are...

:-D

Bush

S'whatcha'll get for going off on those inelegant tangents...

harryglos

I'm really upset by your comment Ted... I reread this entire post and didn't find a thing that was intelligent!

Harry

andygaunt

Harry -

ROFLMAO!!!! laugh.gif

harryglos

Hi Andy,

To your "ROFLMAO" I must add "WTHDTM" which translates to "What The Heck Does That Mean"?

I'll leave you with, "ILYMBYCAKM" "I Love Ya Man But Your Codes Are Killin Me"!

Live Long and Prosper... Oops LLAP

Harry

(oh, that just means HARRY... No code intended)

andygaunt

LOL H.A.R.R.Y -

Roll On Floor Laughing My A** Off !

HTH, TTFN!

harryglos

Ok Andy, maybe a bellyflop or two into the pool but "roll on the floor"? I don't see it man, I just don' see it buddy!

And whatever LOL means, I simply don't want to know...

Harry

LaRetta

Ha! I just saw this post ... after I posted on the other one. Too funny you guys!! I think you all have (way) too much time on your hands. laugh.gif

L

harryglos

Why does everyone keep saying that? Oh well, nap time!

Harry

FileMakin' Tom

Spend some time on the Pogo Game Site and you will learn ALL of those acronums Harry. Their are required learning on many sites BTW: (LOL = Lauging out loud).

HAGD . . .

Tom

harryglos

No way Tom,

That's just what I need is to play a Pogo game! LaRetta already said I have too much time on my hands. Now I should go to a game site? All I can say is... IADIM "I ain't doin it man"!

Your Pal and No Game Boy...

Harry

fsinger

And how about Kimberly's question??

harryglos

I think Kimberly's question is answered! Forum's are a place of "give and take". In the absence of an additional post from Kimberly, we can only deduce that her question was answered or she had things on her plate that are more pressing!

Either that or she was scared off by the Pogo'isums!

Harry

MoonShadow

What amazes me is that this thread received 26 responses (now 27 with mine) without a second response from Kimberly! wink.gif And without producing one ounce of FM knowledge that I could steal!

And I enjoyed every post too! I agree (and disagree) with LaRetta ... :eek: ... maybe too much time on our hands; but maybe we are just a bunch of FM sickos - who, when out of exciting FM problems (and posts), will still attempt to glean FM knowledge out of nothingness and have a good time doing so, regardless. smile.gif

I only wish we could have gotten some FM goodies to boot! What Ray has referred to as a "decreasingly voluminous thread" for sure. We still don't even know what she had. :rolleyes: laugh.gif

harryglos

Moonshadow, if I’m understanding your statement correctly,

“and without producing one ounce of FM knowledge that I could steal”!

It almost sounds as though you are saying that our posts were bereft of any sobering responses? But I say thee nay your Showdow-ness. There is a veritable plethora of information here to be learned and otherwise internalized. I share but a few of these below...

Bush: Intelligent tangents

Frigante: The list of Ingrates

Blackcat” The list of Ingratiatee's

Kjoe: We're in a barter economy here

AndyGaunt: Roll On Floor Laughing

FileMakinTom: Spend some time on the Pogo Game Site

LaRetta: Too much time on your hands

Leoff: Come out come out wherever you are

To add a little extra class and dignity to the post I even added:

“Maybe a belly flop or two”...

Although admittedly lacking in literary genius, it certainly maintains a unique poetic quality and balance.

MoonShadow you even quoted Ray’s "decreasingly voluminous thread"! And that was just wrong! It was the only thing Ray wanted to add to this post and you just took it from him. Moonshadow, you have much to be sorry for, so very much. But we shall all be magnanimous in our forgiveness and quick to praise!

This is all Kimberly's fault... Only she could have stopped the madness!

Harry

This thread is quite old. Please start a new thread rather than reviving this one.