Sign in to follow this  
The Digital Man

To upgrade or not to upgrade?

frigante

Harry - could you expand on what exactly rocks about Elvis? Don't get me wrong, I love him - he's an enigma of epic proportions, but I'm not so sure he rocks exactly...

Oh ya, and if you're that big an Elvis fan, you should check out a movie called "Elvis Meets Nixon" if you haven't already.

harryglos

Because this thread has become so lengthy, I will try to put it into chronological order. For any Alabaman Americans out there, that means as it happened!

This thread started when The Digital Man said he felt as though he was “Caught in a Trap” and admitted to a very “Suspicious Mind”, probably due to a “Hard Headed Woman“ he once met that reminded him that “She’s not you”. I’m sure it was the “One Night with You”, that made him feel like, “He got Stung”!

Ender said he could really relate, but he relies on a “Good Luck Charm” to tell him in advance when “Your a Devil in Disguise”. But even then he admits that “Now and then there’s a “Fool such as I”. He is always ready with the one word to keep from getting hurt... “Don’t”! He ain’t no “Kissin Cousin”!

Frigante intended to offer some real insight to the thread but he unfortunately got caught in a “Kentucky Rain”, took a wrong turn and ended up “In the Getto”! It was ok though, he was on the cell phone with his kids and they said “Don’t cry Daddy”!

The thread started to take on a little different direction when LaRetta told us she felt “All Shook Up” because of a call saying “Let me be your Teddy Bear”. But she recognized the voice and had no intention of being one of those women left “Crying in the Chapel”! No-sir-ree-bob, there’s no “Surrender” there! I was going to ask LaRetta if she would “Where my Ring around her neck” but I new she would say “Don’t be cruel”!

Kjoe responded “That's all right Mamma” that guy was nothing but a “Hound Dog” anyway! After all, It’s not as though “It’s Now or Never”, So be cool “Little Sister”!

Some how Steveinvegas got all caught up with the “Big Boss Man” and didn’t understand way he wanted him to go to a gem store and buy a “Jail house Rock”? He just felt it was “Too Much”!

Then Moon Shadow jumps in and says the entire thread reminds him of the movie “Blue Hawaii” which begs the question, “Are you Lonesome Tonight”?, I mean is he “Stuck on You” or what? And “Rock-A-Hula-Baby” What’s that about? He acts as though somebody stepped on his “Blue Sued Shoes” or something!

Inky Phil somehow got way off the subject and started talking about a hunka-hunka of “Burnin Love”. He got real confused with “The Wonder of You”, when his note came back “Return to Sender”...

I really don’t know about ol Johnny Boy with his “I want you I need you I love you”! I mean, who do you want and need and love man, who? He’s been really confused ever since the night he spent at the “Heartbreak Hotel” I told him to stay at a Best Western!

Now that this entire thread is encapsulated into one manageable post. I will close by telling you that your were “Always on my Mind” and as every one of us would say “Love me Tender”!

Thank you, thank you very much... Elvis has left the building!

Harry

Maarten Witberg

Harry,

now that rocks!

[standing ovation]

[catcalls and whistles]

[encore]

[the king lives]

kjoe

laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

harryglos

Kjoe Rocks on Dood... Take a bow there Kjoe man... Thank you, thank you very much!

FileMakin' Tom

Do you guys ever get any work done? LOL

Tom

Maarten Witberg

nope. this a cafe right! laugh.gif

kjoe

laugh.gif

ps must be bcos it's my holiday coming up. see you all in a couple weeks. seriously....

jonm40

Upgrade to 7? NO!!! I did, and I was sorry. I've gone back to version 6. Reason: 7 forgets where it was the last time it was open. True for me, anyway, on two computers, with the 7.0v2 upgrade or not, under XP SP2 or not. You close, expecting to come back to the same place, say in list view, but you land someplace else, on a different record. And further, if you take a record from list to main, when you return to list the screen has arbitrarily scrolled and you're on a different record. FMP7 is a piece of junk. Don't buy it. I'm trashing mine and, while continuing with version 6, which is fine (it doesn't have that weird glitch), looking for more a promising database program as FileMaker, having become King of the Hill, probably goes down the drain.

harryglos

Hi Jonm40,

I tried to duplicate what you stated on both Mac and Pc environment and find no difference between 6 and 7. Both take me to the same screen I was in previously.

Do you have an "open" script in your preferences, or multiple screen open when you go to quit? That's all I can think of at the moment that could possibly do what you've mentioned.

Harry

jonm40

Okay, I recommend upgrading to version 7 after all. YES! Upgrade! Read my message in "FMP7 is a big, forgetful flop."

Briefly, I reinstalled 7, and this time, before converting my file from version 6 to 7, deleted a couple of scripts I think I had in there wrong.

Now 7 works fine. Thanks for the hint; it helped.

John

harryglos

Hi John,

I'm glad it worked out for you, I thought maybe it would! That's what makes the Forum so great... A bunch of "Club" members sitting around the Cafe swapping ideas that amazingly at times actually work!

It reminds me of the National Geographic photographer who was walking thru the bush in Africa where he came upon a Pigmy standing next to a huge Rhinoceros dead at his feet. The photographer said “how did you kill something that big? The Pigmy says “I killed it with my club”. So the Photographer says “well, how big is your club”? and the pigmy says “about 30 of us”!

See we're a big club...

mikehkg

KJoe,

Regarding your users typing in wrong stuff - i think thats not related to the version of FM but to the design of your database.

Usually, only a fraction of the fields should be visible on user layouts; no way you would give the user access to a field which defines a relationship and not verify its content! Entry fields can be validated via scripts, This is the only way to avoid a mess and a essential part of creating a solution because it requires extra layouts and a lot of verification of the user's entry, but it guarantees proper values in all fields and functioning relationships.

Maarten Witberg

Hi Mike, thanks for replying.

In fact, what you suggest is exactly what I've been working on these past weeks. I have been learning by doing, and am doing so still.

kjoe

smile.gif

Bush

Um, guys, enough on-topic stuff... can we get back to the silliness, for awhile?

Maarten Witberg

I'm not feeling particularly silly tonight, but to pick up on a previous post from this thread, Robert Anton Wilson is alive, his books are in print and he is an active member of the Committee for Surrealist Investigation of Claims of the Normal. Follow the link if you want silly, yet with deep overtones or undertows of wisdom, I never know which.

kjoe

smile.gif

Officer Ron

I converted a decent size DB about 3 months ago and while I have taken advantage of many of the new features that 7 has to offer there a few major draw backs that I see.

1st - 7 is way to demanding on system resources. Ifyou have a slightly old WIN PC and less that 16mb of video RAM your going to be annoyed looking at the screen redraw itself all the time.

2nd - start up on even a new WIN PC takes way longer than before. Why cant the FM code writers have streamlined this baby some more????

3rd - If they really wanted to make us all have a much easier time converting how about creating a conversion process that allowed us to bring all of our related databases bring them in a tables. This way we wouldn't have to start over from scratch to take advantage of the great new feature that MS Access has had for years.

Dont get me wrong, its a great product, but I think they can make it even better if they try. I hope 7.5 is on the way to address some of these things. Regards Ron.

FileMakin' Tom

Ron . . .

Don't hold your breath . . .

Tom

harryglos

Hi Officer Ron and that "breath holder" FileMakin' Tom,

I have it on good authority, or at least authority, or ah, the rumor mill, ok ok so it's just my own idea, man this is a tough room. Anyway, many things could be addresses maybe as early as November!

FMC has always listened to its users and I think that is particularly true with the major changes in 7! So keep your eyes peeled. We've all heard of the "Self Fulfilling Prophecy"!

Was it Chicken Little who said "The sky is falling, the sky is falling"! So I have a new one a Harry-ism if you will... "The sky is up, the sky is up"! Now that's deep... well up-deep!

Oops, I was going to say something nice about FileMakin' Tom but I already closed out the post... Don't ya hate when that happens!

Harry

bigzilla

Hello again,

What a great way to learn. The combination of good information and humor can’t be beat. Keep it up guys.

Bill

The Digital Man

Wow!

Amazing where a post can go! smile.gif

I decided to pop back in after slogging away in the trenches for awhile. Unfortunately I wear two hats. I manage the art department and I'm supposed to also be managing our information system. But since we are a small company and the "art department" makes us money that is always my priority when there is work in the house. The FileMaker project is still a side thing that is not fully implemented yet. We're using it to track jobs but that is all at the moment. I want it to do so much more!!!

And now armed with my newly received copies of FileMaker 7 I am hoping to really get dangerous! You can all expect to see more of me in the near future.

I went ahead and acquired the FileMaker 7 Development kit basically upgrading my Developer 5.5 (although it wasn't a true upgrade). Will this be useful to me? I never felt Developer 5.5 was that useful except for debugging scripts. Maybe I just didn't unlock its full potential?

Cheers.