Sign in to follow this  
Alaselah

New window size

Alaselah

In Filemaker 7, I am generating a new window and then going to the layout that I want for that window. The problem I am encountering is that the original window changes to the same size as the new window rather than remaining full size in the background.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

LaRetta
the original window changes to the same size as the new window rather than remaining full size in the background.
Hi Alaselah,

If you mean the original layout switches from maximized to a window state I'm afraid that is the way Windows works. When you implement 'window mode', all windows will go into this mode and none will remain maximized. :rolleyes:

I have ended up scripting size and placement of all my windows and eliminating maximized entirely. If you are meaning something else, let us know and we'll help you with it. smile.gif

Alaselah

Hi LaRetta,

Thanks for your response. I noticed in Filemaker's Business_Tracker database (that can be downloaded from the Filemaker website) that if one clicks the "Add a Company" button (or any of the other buttons that add a new record) that a new window pops up (defined to be a certain size) and the original window layout stays in the background at its original size. I am trying to do the same thing but without success. I have two windows with two layouts and both are the same size - one behind the other.

Thanks for any more thoughts you might have.

MoonShadow

If your original window is moving (or resizing) at any time (other than dropping from maximized to window mode), it means your script has incorrectly focused on that window again instead of your new window. I would need to see your scripts to pinpoint it.

I took a quick look at Business Tracker. From my first impressions, it uses Set Zoom Level [100%] and Adjust Window [Resize to Fit] and then stays there (executed from the StartUp script). As you select each Icon at the top, each tab window (layout) never changes size because it is simply layout switching.

But your main layout changes size so you are changing it via script. Have you performed a Move/Resize Window [] with 'Current Window' selected? Walk it through in your mind. Have you accidently selected (made active) an incorrect window (your main layout window) at any time?

Consider where your focus is when executing these scripts. With FM7, it is easy to apply a script to the wrong data-set (which table/layout is current) and also which windows are impacted. Focus and Point of View are key elements in FM7, I'm finding out. smile.gif

If you are still stuck, give us your scripts or provide a link to your file and we will help you further.

Alaselah

Thanks to both LaRetta and MoonShadow. I set my original window to "Resize to fit" and then ran the "New Window" script. This took care of the problem.

Thanks again. smile.gif

mingmen

Hi

Am having the same problem, but it's still not working. Have made a test script:

Go to Layout ["sample"]

Adjust Window[Maximize]

New Window [ Name: "test";Height: 600;Width:500:Top:50;Left:50]

Select Window [Name:"test";current file]

By step 3, the new window pops up, but the original also resizes smaller. Resize to Fit does the same thing. What am I missing ?

HBMarlowe

On Windows OS a maximized window always returns to normal size before a new window is opened.

It might be better to use the Move/Resize Window script step to position the original window exactly where you want it before opening the new window.

mingmen

Thanks for the help. The Move/Resize works best. Not exactly elegant, but then I guess I would need to get a Mac.

This thread is quite old. Please start a new thread rather than reviving this one.