Sign in to follow this  
blackcat

7.0 Fonts look Crap!!!

drroebuck

Wow. I've been gone for a couple days and this thread has really heated up!

Anyway, Chopper, my point is that since FMI, in developing for OS 9 and pre-Win2k, would have obviously passed any additional development costs down to the consumer, what would be your preference and/or solution?

Since you dug up access, I put a PDF on my website that I found a year ago or so. It compares FileMaker to Access. Though it's a little old, I think you'll find it quite interesting and informative.

Robert Schaub
Originally posted by drroebuck:

[qb]Since you dug up access, I put a PDF on my website that I found a year ago or so. It compares FileMaker to Access. Though it's a little old, I think you'll find it quite interesting and informative.[/qb]

I don't intend to start the age old discussion of Access vs FM7 again . All I am pointing out is it is becoming more simular. See the Snap Shot

Anatoli

Hmmm, I left Mac platform for Windows NT 6 years ago...

Looks like good move because I don't have to get involved in MacOS vs. MacX discussion laugh.gif

Andrew6000

HEY!

If you go to EDIT ---> Preferences ----> General ---> Font Smoothing Style

And set it to "smooth, light" It seems to basically make the fonts normal (more like v6).

It's still not perfect, but definitely sharper and more clear.

harryglos

Hi-Ho FileMakin Tom,

Who'd of thunk it! 7.0 has thrown ol Tom over the edge. I mean the deep chasm, the end of all ends, down the slippery slide, over the hill and thru the woods. Man-o-man-o-man!

Tom, did I actually hear you say the 4D word? Nooooo surly not! I mean you just don't say something like 4D right up front with no preparation. I've heard rumors that some 4D people have even been seen outdoors lately! But surely it's just rumor...

I know my following statement will cause great unhappiness in the ranks and I know that this thread is not about this subject but I must say it... “4D is a developers environment only”! There, I said it. Tom and 4D it’s like finding out there’s no Santa Clause! And what will we call you “4D Tom” it just doesn’t have the same ring to it.

The learning curve in 4D is simply not worth it! It’s too tightly bound for the developer and user as well. I'm not sure when I first started developing in 4D but it had to be somewhere in the mid to late 80's. Back in the Helix, Fox Pro, (sorry for saying Fox Pro with no preparation) Omnis era. But 4D to write anything sophisticated is a tough tough haul. And when the haul is over you could have done the same thing (better) in FileMaker in less than half the time and it’s elegant, where 4D is kludgy.

I know, I know, you hear people shouting 4D has a programming language, a programing language and everyone says oh, ya. let’s do that, it has a programming language. Now let us pause, mellow out and all consider “what is a true relational plan and have you sought insight from the blue billowy clouds grasshopper”

I know there is something for everyone but not 4D. Last I heard they were bundled 4D with each purchase of an Edsil. Tom, I love ya man and we both live in Tampa, but please don’t keep saying 4D. It just really hurts me bad! Give the FileMaker 7 guru’s a few months to work out some of the wrinkles and I think we’ll all be happy! Some of our solutions aren't perfect out of the box either.

Your Pal who still digs the disco scene,

Harry

FileMakin' Tom

Very amusing post, Harry. I know little of 4D but mentioned it once as I am very frustrated with Apple's desire to chase long term users (me) to the wintel (ugh) platform. But chase me they have. Alas! My over $4,000 G4 sits gathering dust while I now happily work at my under $1,000 Wintel box . . . knowing that Steve Jobs will definitely never be allowed to screw up Windows as he has the revered Mac platform (and all for his ego's sake).

Now, Filemaker arbitrarily decides that I should completely rewrite tens of thousands of hours of solutions because they would not make 7.0 reverse compatible! (Trust me, this was to force recalcitrant Mac users to upgrade to OS 10.x and the new Macs - didja notice that FMP 7.0 runs on older wintel platforms?) So I say to Mac and to FMP: "No thanks" . . . I most certainly will be looking for an alternative as pass by the months of summer drear here in the sweltering, steaming tropics of Detroit South (Tampa).

Be well and keep that finely honed sense of humor Harry . . .

Tom

Robert Schaub
Originally posted by FileMakin' Tom:

[qb] Alas! My over $4,000 G4 sits gathering dust while I now happily work at my under $1,000 Wintel box . . . Tom[/qb]

Say, Tom tell us how do you want for that dust collector?

As you know by now you could have bought 4 pcs and networked them for the same 1 g4 ,

Also if you are going windows you need a coffee mug ;-)

FileMakin' Tom
Originally posted by chopper:

As you know by now you could have bought 4 pcs and networked them for the same 1 g4 ,

Also if you are going windows you need a coffee mug ;-)[/QB]

Amen Chopper. In fact, I could have bought a super PC AND the replacement Photoshop, Freehand and Pagemaker which Uncle Stevie Jobs required me to replace if I want to remain in his exclusive failed "Next" club . . . for less than just the price of the Mac CPU!!!! Oh well, live and learn.

Tom

harryglos

Hi All,

I just had and interesting phone call from FileMaker. They called because I had downloaded the 7.0 Demo and wanted my reactions to it.

I've been using FileMaker from the beginning when it was owned by Neshiba (I’m sure I miss spelt that) and this is the first time they ever called.

I told them my only real disappointment is the difficulty of converting files from older versions. He didn’t say much about that other than he would eMail me some information on making file conversion easier (I don’t have it yet) and gave me a code to use that will pay for freight on my next purchase.

I was impressed with the call and I was even more impressed with the knowledge the caller had. It was not just some resident-bean-bag, this guy new FileMaker!

I admit that I feel a special allegiance to FileMaker. I’ve made a lot of money with their products and they were always responsive to my calls and emails. I combine that with the knowledge I have from the FileMaker Forums and as I said, I feel an alliance.

Like many of you I’ve spent a good amount of time trying out different flavors of the week in database-dom to always arrive at the same conclusion. FileMaker is simply the best there is. No it’s not perfect, but it’s the best. And when I have a problem, I know where to come. How many things in our live can we say that about?

End of sermon, I was just really impressed with the phone call especially in light of our recent posts.

Harry

FileMakin' Tom

Super Harry. At least it proves that someone at FMI is reading our comments and complaints. Hmmmmmm, now to get them to do anything about them . . . that's another matter.

Tom :rolleyes:

harryglos

Hi Tom,

You're right, we now need to see them doing something and my guess is they will. Afterall, they made a lot of money from us as well.

The two emails they sent me are as follows.

http://www.filemaker.com/answers/101_ways.html

http://www.filemaker.com/downloads/pdf/techbrief_fm7_migration.pdf

Hope you find them interesting.

harry

Maarten Witberg

Filemaker has acknowledged the fuzzy fonts problem, go here

blackcat

Glad to know that they know about it.

I prefer my origional heading but hey if 'fuzzy' does for everyone else the 'fuzzy' it is.

Still no mention of what is going to be done about it, if anything.

Guess we will have to live with it- NOT!!! Calling Access & 4D!!!!!

Steve

FileMakin' Tom

Interesting that FMI acknowledges that they have a fuzzy font problem with Mac OS 10.X. As Apple owns Filemaker, you would think they could at least get that relationship to work properly. Not a mention of Windows fuzziness. Worst of all, it appears they have given up on the problem with a shrug of their corporate shoulders and the attitude of "Tough Crap" toward their users. Yup - time to move on.

Tom

This thread is quite old. Please start a new thread rather than reviving this one.