Sign in to follow this  
blackcat

7.0 Fonts look Crap!!!

blackcat

I have just downloaded the trial version & converted an .Fp5 to Fp7 format. On opening I notice that the fonts look anti-aliased (Blurred in laymans terms).

Creating new text is the same (Arial 12)

The Text tool in layout mode is the same.

This makes text on layouts look very poor, Is there a way to turn off the text aliasing taht I have not found yet?

Steve

DBasine

I agree !

Fonts on Mac OS X look crap in the first place. My vision got worse with 1 dioptry ever since.

Does it even look bad on Mac OS Classic?

blackcat

Filemaker in my opinion has dropped the ball on this one!

Users need crisp clean text on screen & consistency.

Even the tool bar has display inconsistency that makes the application look unprofessional, eg Total of records is crisp, actual record being views shows as blurred text.

I downloaded Rays 747 files & as soon as I saw the first page I was instatly put off from reading due to the font issue.

dIf you do get over this & carry on to read the text I found that this cause some eye discomfort. Is this just me needing new specs?

Now this may seem like a small issue to most, Am I the only one that has a probelm with this?

Steve

blackcat

PS forgot to mention I'm on a PC!!

CobaltSky
Originally posted by DBasine:

[qb]Does it even look bad on Mac OS Classic?[/qb]

Hi DBasine,

Actually, v7 does not run at all on Mac Classic. OS X is the minimum supported version for Mac.

However on the more general issue, I was interested to note the views expressed here - and at least a little surprised, as I've long regarded the lack of anti-aliasing as a problem and the resulting jagged appearance of unaliased text on good quality monitors as undesirable and unprofessional.

I absolutely respect your right to hold a different view and I guess it is partly a matter of personal preference, and/or another example of how what looks good on some monitors may not look so good on others.

blackcat

Ray

I hear what your saying & I agree with you.

What I don't like is the interface inconsistency as I have described. If the fonts are to be anti-aliased then everything should be anti-aliased. If options to change the smooting has been incorprated then how hard would it have been to have the option of NONE to be included, then the user could make the choice for himself.

To put this point into perspective how many users will go out & find a replacement monitor just to suit their needs?

Steve

FileMakin' Tom

Perhaps another ploy by Apple to sell new monitors?

Mariano Peterson

The fonts look lousy on all four different monitors I have. Some of them are supposed to be decent monitors, too.

DBasine

Ray,

Indeed, I assume it's just a matter of taste and meanwhile I am used to the anti-aliasing.

I personally liked the Mac OS Classic font display, because it was as sharp as in real life, unlike Windows.

As long as you had supported screen fonts such as Geneva, Chicago etc., jagged appearance was no issue.

Without anti-aliasing, a black pixel was a black pixel and a white pixel was a white pixel, from 10cm distance and 50 cm distance. That was a treat to make layouts.

With anti-aliasing, e.g the character "l" looks different on position {x,y} from "l" on position {x1,y1}.

And selecting text with a darker highlight colour looked awful: but on 10.2.8 this is corrected.

As for support of FM7 on MacOS Classic: I assumed there was a version since you could select it on the download page.

kind regards,

DBasine

blackcat

Nice to know It's not my eyes! now need to cancel my Optician's appointment not to mention a trip to the pc shop to find a 'decent monitor' & a Multi-switch for swiching between the monitors depending if working in FM7 or 'Any' other application.

(Now theres a marketing thought- get new monitor with every upgrade!!!-hhhmmm)

So lets get to the nitty gritty!

Can anyone at filemaker do anything about this? Is something being worked on ie(7.0.1 for instance)?

or are we just going to have to accept what is is what will be? & go look for prices for 4D

Comments please

Steve

blackcat
going to have to accept what is is what will be? & go look for prices for 4D
Looks like i'm a poet & didn't know it!!

oh there i go again!

Steve

Now going mad with the frustration

Basem

I am glad to hear I am not the only one suffering from this,

In fact yesterday I posted the same thing on Macworld but No one replies or seemed to notice the porblem..

My posting on Macworld

The font looks so Crappy to say the least. It does look blurry. It is exactly what Microsoft create and called Clearfont. I hate it. Please is there a way to get rid of this.

Also it seems Graphics are 10 time worse than in Ver. 6. Not that it was nice to begin with... Whats the deal with that ha....

Basem

Again just checking how my old solution works with 7.

I have spent months, designing graphics so it would look nice. Guess what Ver. 7 just screwed everything up.

You see it for yourself.

I used a Centralized database for my graphics. Of course I used relationship to pulll them in the main database.

Now upon conversion. All graphics seemed to come "Distorted". Like Elarged (Mostly horizontallY) I checked the settings and so on, nothing worked. It seems that Ver 7, decided some how to increase the size or Pixels of a picture file in a Container field. Weiered... oh yea.

If any has a solution with Centralized graphics. Let me know what you think of this crap.

FileMakin' Tom

Why doesn't everyone simply stay with FMP 6.0 or lower until FMI decides to produce a new version in which type and graphics look as intended? That's a simple solution and one that will get FMI's attention rather rapidly. Sad to think of my beloved FileMaker's demise because of a poorly conceived new version. 4D anyone? frown.gif

Robert Schaub

agreed , Fonts like (what he said) i see there is way to lock the fonts but I couldn't get it to work.

Mariano Peterson

You an also take a look at www.servoy.com. Looks interesting, works on the FileMaker paradigm, supports powerful databases, supports event based scripting, supports a rich plug-in architecture, scripting is based on JavaScript (fairly simple), and more.

coolboy7163

Feel the same way. I am happy with all the outstanding new features, but when it comes to what the database is made for "reviewal of information" the font is terribly bad.

I will actually wait to see if filemaker comes up with an update to correct the problem before I buy it.

Mr B Dobolina
Originally posted by Mariano Peterson:

[qb]You an also take a look at www.servoy.com. Looks interesting, works on the FileMaker paradigm, supports powerful databases, supports event based scripting, supports a rich plug-in architecture, scripting is based on JavaScript (fairly simple), and more.[/qb]

This looks like a great program! Have you tried it out? Any comments?

Bush

Ray, you've apparently had quite some time to play with 7 -- what's your take on the various complaints lodged so far (beside the font thing since you've addressed it) -- I especially refer to Mariano's extended 'plaint in another thread?

And can we blame Filemaker 7 for the whacked way this thread is appearing? Or maybe Microsoft? Or Dick Cheney? Oooh, nevermind. Just heard from W. It's al Queda's fault.

rogermax

As I have posted elsewhere, I am really frustrated with the way text looks on screen. Blurry is the word. I have tried different sizes and fonts, but they are all fuzzy. I have immense respect for Ray and his opinions. I have a pretty good monitor and the text just looks awful, even in Ray's superb demos.

Maarten Witberg

i just went through this whole thread. as regards to the

anti aliasing:

in panther you can set the level of anti aliasing or optimize it for CRT or flat panel displays. thru system preferences. I don't use fmpro 7 but i tested it on fm 6 and ms word - it does not seem to make a whole lot of difference on my 12'' ibook. fonts are not crisp, but not crap either. but who knows, maybe for you early adopters of 7 it will improve things.

Maarten Witberg

it appears now that the anti aliasing settings from sys prefs do affect apple's own Mail... i got fonts so sharp my eyes watered. i then took a second look at word: if you zoom in pretty far (say 200%) there is a noticeable difference, although not as much as in Mail. Strange. Now, zoom options in FMpro 6 take 50% steps...how's that in FM7? you're looking at optimizing per user. Not very handy in a multiuser environment I do agree.

blackcat

Aside from all the comments by all agreeing that the font issue is a problem, is there anyone from filemaker that can acknowlege that this thread has been monitored by Filemaker & that something is being done to address this issue.

Thanks

steve

Guest barry

You had better believe someone from FileMaker has seen this thread! Don't expect a response, but you can expect an updater real soon!!! You can count on it.

FileMakin' Tom

Yeah right - Probably as v8.0 for another $500.

Tom

Ugo DI LUCA
Originally posted by FileMakin' Tom:

[qb]Why doesn't everyone simply stay with FMP 6.0 or lower until FMI decides to produce a new version in which type and graphics look as intended? That's a simple solution and one that will get FMI's attention rather rapidly. Sad to think of my beloved FileMaker's demise because of a poorly conceived new version. 4D anyone? frown.gif [/qb]

Tom,

I suspect that you and I stayed with our old OS9 and FileMaker6 files betting on time and safety working systems.

Notwithstanding the big "architecture" evolvements of FM7, I'm a daily impressed user/developer of 4D solutions.

It surely isn't as easy as it was with FileMaker older version, but from what I'm reading in various forums, it is as complex as FM7, with this advantage that it was here before....and running on OS9.

Cheers

tongue.gif

Bush

Well, I'm sad to say that I, too, am suffering from FuzzyFont syndrome (Win2k laptop @ 1024x768).

I guess it's a good thing I'll be leaving my users in 6 while I figure out 7..

drroebuck

Obviously, the anti-aliasing rendering engine that FileMaker is using is garbage. Short of dumping it altogether, they should absolutely allow users to turn it off.

Perhaps even worse is the incredibly amateuristic effect, at least in WinXP, of the text not being centered vertically in the field. Even when the text is highlighted, the highlight bar is off-center.

And fyi, turning off any anti-aliasing in Windows has no effect on the appearance in FM.

This is extremely, extremely frustrating. Do the FMI developers not see it on their own screens?

Klepton

Its probably because they want to keep as much of the code they have to maintain independant of the OS its running on. They have proabably built their own antialias code, they use their own interface graphics etc. Then from a code architecture point of view, they have the same 'core code' for the product and a chunk of interface code that is OS dependant. That means that none of the results are likely to be than whats in the various OS's unfortunately - its going to be a mix of whats available in all 3...

My guess is they arent going to change this approach any time soon. Their development costs would triple to have to rewrite all that display code for 2/3 different OS's... We might get lucky though...

This thread is quite old. Please start a new thread rather than reviving this one.