The ORIGINAL FileMaker Community - Forum - Online Business Apps & Software Forum
Sign in to follow this  
not sharing name

building a runtime

not sharing name

can anybody give me a step by step lesson on building a runtime....

i have a *very* simple database, no auxiliary files, no lookups, no pull downs, etc etc. about 8 fields and 75 records that i want to convert to a runtime.

each record has a track number and a sound byte, there are just 2 scripts, one to set up the window when opening the document, and one to start picking and playing random sound clips.

thanx !

not sharing name

btw, feel free to pretend that i'm *really* dumb!!!

engineer

Whats the difference between runtime and kiosk?

Maarten Witberg

not sharing name, building a runtime is possible if you have Filemaker Developer (v7 and earlier) or Filemaker Advanced (v8).

Just click file->developer utilities and follow the steps. A runtime of your solution comes out the other end.

engineer, a kiosk is a runtime type that hides menu bar and desktop, this option is handy if you need to build f.i. touchscreen solutions.

kjoe

Inky Phil

A runtime does not need the end user to have a copy of FMP whereas kiosk mode does

Phil

zsozso

Hi,

I am new to filemaker runtime.

My goal is to build an application for some pictures. Can the runtime app do this? I mean the pictures should be in a folder near the database, not in the database (wich would be really big).

----------

for example>

runtime.exe

Pictures>

picture1.jpg

picture2.jpt

etc

----------

thanks

P.S.

sorry for my english

CobaltSky

Hello zsozso,

Yes, a runtime can display images in a container field - and the images may be 'stored as a reference' (to a file in a specified folder) rather than stored within the database. wink.gif

Richard Coso

I have two separate databases , one holds the customer info and the other is the main - sign ins, transactions, logs and that sort of stuff. When I make a runtime solution using both databases only one of them are able to open. Is there a some trick to be able to use both database in one runtime solution.

AHunter3

That seems really odd.

You add both database files to the Select File(s) dialog when you create the runtime?

In the Runtime folder, you end up with a runtime version of both of those files as well as the executable (runtime engine) and ancillary files (.dll files etc) ??

But one out of the two files will NOT OPEN AT ALL?

OK: in the plain-vanilla (NOT runtime) version of that solution, I assume you CAN open both files. Can you open them both without the [Full Access] account? (Not that that should really matter). What happens in the runtime when you try to open the second file? And how (be VERY explicit: describe each click, each keystroke), exactly, are you trying to open the one that will not open?

Richard Coso

When opening the runtime, it only opens one DB, if I scroll down I can then I click on second DB and it will open. If I click on the icon on the first DB what should open the second, I get the message:

The file "Customer Data.fp7" could not be found and is required to complete this operation.

Do I have to rename the link on the icon?

AHunter3

Usually when you create a runtime, it updates the External References.

Exactly HOW does your button open the file? Performs script step Open [known file selected from list of External References]? Something else?

Richard Coso

I used "Send Event". I changed the extension to the one I used when making the runtime, and that worked. Thanks for the replays and the help.

AHunter3

For future reference, you don't want to use Send Event to open another Filemaker database; the developer tool will update refernences to known files using External Data Sources (such as Open [ExternalFile.fp7] or Perform Script [in ExternalFile.fp7 --> some script] ) but parameters of Send Event will not update when you change it into a runtime.

Richard Coso

Thanks again for the info. This is my first runtime.

This thread is quite old. Please start a new thread rather than reviving this one.