Salesforce and other SMB Solutions are coming soon. ×

Allowing Countries

PiedPiper

I wasnt sure where this question so go. I hope its okay here.

My new file will have everything seperate - (3) street lines, city, state, zip and country. But countries are very strange. For example, I have Tachikawa-Shi Tokyo Japan and the zip is 190-0012.

I wanted to make sure people enter things in the proper way so I'm not correcting all of it. Does anyone know of examples on how to set this up so I can use field validation to be sure the zips for US are acceptable and that, if not, asks if it's a forein country and makes them fill in the country too? I'm finding some very strange combinations and I don't know what other countries even list things like. Do they have states? I can't insist a state is filled in unless I know it's US but I'm really confused on looking at all of this.

Any ideas would be very helpful. Im about ready to shit-can this whole idea. All I can think of is to insist they enter the country first and then if US, test their entry but if not, let them enter anything in any field the way they want because I don't know how it should be. I hope that all makes sense. this is above me.

Pete

and i haven't even looked at the phone numbers yet. I'm afraid to. :eek: Our sales are always confused on what to put befgore phone numbers for other countries 0-110 or something like that.

oh well. I need a brewsky for sure

Hello,

I have something similar to this with one of my own files. However, I have only a small region to work with so this may not work for you. I have a seperate file called zip codes with the zip code, city, state. I have a value list called zip codes that is derived from this. The validation for zip codes is that it must be a member of the value list.

This solution would require you to create a new file and populate it with all of the us zip codes. I know you can buy a download of this for about 40$ US. You can then write a scipt where if the zip code entered is not valid that the user will then be prompted to add this to you zip code file.

Once this is done you can have the city and state be auto entered fields based on the relationship of zip code to you zip code file. This will prevent funny/multiple invetive spellings of different names and countries.

If you do not wish to purchase a zip code listing I would suggest using the file you have now, scrub it down and then add zip code info as it is populated.

Hope this helps

sorry, missed a peice,

This solution would require you to create a new file and populate it with all of the us zip codes. I know you can buy a download of this for about 40$ US. You can then write a scipt where if the zip code entered is not valid that the user will then be prompted to add this to you zip code file. This is where the foreign country comes in. You can create a pop up form on your zip code file where the user can enter new zip information. If the country is US (which I would set to default assuming you don't already have them all in your file) than the city, state, zip are required otherwise you can allow your users to fill in the information based on the info availble for that zip.

You could also require them to contact you or an administrator to add this file if you are overly concerned with data integity, but I wouldn't recomend this.

Hi Maureen, thanks for helping. Can I use this in addition to validating the zip field when they enter it or are you saying the related file will do that automatically? Ive added validation to zip with auto entry of USA but it would be cool if they didnt have to enter the city or state at all unless not US. this would mean they could enter a bad zip but its really a good zip if international. I guess i'm confused on which should come first. The country or the zip and how to validate both ways.

oh and How do it work if there are many zips within a city? Thanks again for ideas. laugh.gif

Pete

Hi,

The way I have it set up for my file is they enter the zip and it auto fills the Country, City, etc. It does this because of the relationship of the main file to the zip code file by zip code.

-The zipcode field in the main file has a validation on it that says it must be a member of the zip code value list.

-The zip code value list is generated from the zip code field in the zip code file.

I have a customized validation message on the zip code field in the main file stating that to add a new zip code they have to click a button that will bring up the form on the zip code file. This is where they would add new non US zip code info.

Does this make sense? If not I think I can dig up a sample file for you so you can see it in action.

Let me know.

Hi Maureen, I would love to see anything on this subject please if you would? Do you also have foreign countries in it, I mean, allowing for all those fields for providence or whatever tey call it (like Toronto, Ontario, Canada?) Would you put Ontario in the state field? i apologize here to since I started a similar post on that other spot.

Maybe i'll just archive what I have and get the US stuff corrected and ignore all countries. I thought I could validate that state is two letters and country = USA, but if I pre-fill USA in country, I'd never get an error if they put Ontario in the state so I couldn't tell them to also put in a country name in that case.

BTW, I tried using a value list on zips (from field data) but they can still click the menu button and it won't give an error message. I don't know why because Ray wouldn't have told me wrong. It works when it's a normal field, but not if a value list. can't value lists be validated too? You use them with zips, right? Are you saying you don't validate them with auto entry too?

This weekend im going to create several files to try to test all of this like you suggest, so if anyone knows of examples or ideas on the best way to handle addresses i would really appreciate the help. I'm pretty dumb on all of this but I'm willing to study hard.

Pete

Important Information

Terms of Use