Salesforce and other SMB Solutions are coming soon. ×

Global Repetitions

LaRetta

Hi everyone,

I currently write each LineItem field to a global field (from within Invoices) and then script adds the record. Because of this, I end up with 11 global fields (7 text and 4 number). Each product has many options (special labels, SKUs, shipper notes, special packing requirements). It is messy and makes wading through my field definitions time consuming. I was considering something ...

Since these global fields are only for Developer use and are only used for reading/writing via script (and not reports, summaries, etc.), couldn't I use repetitions to store my temporary data? I use global (containers) in this way but wondered if the above application has some drawbacks that I'm unaware of. One global to hold each type of data (text, number, date) seems easier. smile.gif

LaRetta

• 3 weeks later...

Well I can see no one is willing to stick their neck out on this one. smile.gif

Probably too busy playing with their new Christmas toys.

I don't see any reason why it would matter because as you say it is strictly an internal thing and is not being used to summarize or search through those fields.

The only concern I can think of off the top of my head would be that it is my understanding the "field repetions" support was only included in 5.5 and 6.0 so that older solutions using them would still work. I might worry that at some point they will do away with field repetitions in future versions. Surely Not! laugh.gif

But you never know.

Pesonally if it were me I would do it! As you say your code would be much cleaner.

Well I can see no one is willing to stick their neck out on this one. wink.gif

Probably too busy playing with their new Christmas toys.

I don't see any reason why it would matter because as you say it is strictly an internal thing and is not being used to summarize or search through those fields.

The only concern I can think of off the top of my head would be that it is my understanding the "field repetions" support was only included in 5.5 and 6.0 so that older solutions using them would still work. I might worry that at some point they will do away with field repetitions in future versions. Surely Not! laugh.gif

But you never know.

Pesonally if it were me I would do it! As you say your code would be much cleaner.

Hi Randy,

Thanks for being willing to stick your neck out for me. smile.gif

I assumed the question must be ridiculous since no one answered. This actually was a case of poor planning on my part. Originally, I thought there would only be four fields to set. But then staff began saying they would really like to also notify shipping of where to place a label, or to change the UPC, and other such things until ... well, it just grew.

I'm at the point that I may write directly into the LineItem file. I liked the idea of a User adding a LineItem and see it appear in the portal immediately, then continue adding a new LineItem with no pause - from Invoices. But I suppose I can do the same within LineItems and display the Invoice 'brothers and sisters' in the portal. And if they keep adding criteria, it would start to get on my nerves. I also wanted to give Users the freedom to change those fields easily before 'committing' them. wink.gif

And I wonder how I would name the globals to clearly identify what field is in which repetition to keep it clear? Otherwise, I'll have to keep a list next to me when scripting. Hmmm. I like the idea of combining my globals but it concerns me a bit also.

If anyone else deals with complex LineItems, I would really appreciate your suggestions on how best to handle it. smile.gif

LaRetta

Important Information

Terms of Use