Salesforce and other SMB Solutions are coming soon. ×

Limiting a Calculation

ldebondt

Trying to get a calculation to determine the amount of vacation time earned. This is based on the number of years an individual has worked and the current month. For instance: less than 2 yrs of service you earn 7 hrs of vacation a month. 2yrs to less than 5yrs earned is 8hrs. Currently I have a calculation field to determine the number of years worked. My problem is that every time the length of service goes to the next category of hours earned, my calculation recalculates all previous. Is there a way to tell FileMaker to do a calculation once and not recalculate previous amounts????

Hi Larry,

I'm afraid that a 'stored' calculation won't help in this case, as stored and unstored calculations both update automatically when values that their formulae reference are changed.

However you may achieve the functionality you're after by using an auto-enter calculation option on a normal data entry field instead. Auto-enter-by-calculation options calculate when the field is empty, but do not override previous results. wink.gif

But then you probably need it to recalculate at one time or another, or I won't like to work at your place...

I assume it could be one a Year to Year basis, or based according to the employee's date of employment.

I'd personnally go for a scripted method then, that sets each record's value on a yearly script.

Usually, this is tracked via lineitems (BenefitDate, Category, EmployeeID, Hours +/-) which post an employee's entitled benefits monthly (or during each payroll period) and also deducts if employee takes time off - turn in their slips for vacation, sick, or whatever. The difference is an employee's current benefits in each Category (Vacation, Sick, Personal Day, Holiday, etc.) -- some time cashable at termination or some lost as in sickdays. And these are figures that an employee is constantly asking about even if it's on their stub because they always misplace them! laugh.gif

A calculation, except used to set a standard field with the value once (as Ray suggested), wouldn't be much good as it wouldn't solidify the monthly accumulations. I think it makes sense for script to handle the whole process so that other variables (employee promotion to different benefit level during that payroll period, or changes to a Employee Benefits Plan) can be factored into the scripting so it automatically adjusts as Management promotes, hires and changes benefit packages. smile.gif

Just some thoughts ...

LaRetta

Important Information

Terms of Use