Salesforce and other SMB Solutions are coming soon. ×

ASCII Values

SpacBoy

I have 10 fields and need the sum of the ASCII values of those 10 fields displayed in another field.

Can this be done?

Please help.

Thanks..

Maybe you could explain what you mean by "sum of the ASCII values of those 10 fields".

Do these ten fields have a single character in each? In that case, do you want each character converted to its ASCII value and then added?

Intrigued.

Hi,

Its a bit hard to explain this one.

Each field could have a date, 1 word, number,etc... and I need the ASCII value of the contents of each field added together. This value will be displayed in a field called Checksum and should be a value like 17563.

Many thanks for your interest.

Russell.

Well there is no easy way because there is not a text to ASCII function in FileMaker. You could do it however, by setting up a couple of calculation fields and maybe references to an ASCII conversion table/file.

Based on David's idea, I put together a utility file that hopefully will do the trick for you. It works for regular characters and most special characters (space, horizontal tab, carriage return). You can download it here.

Its fairly easy to tweak it to use other non-printable characters, you just have to add them to the calc in the ascii utility file I included. Hope this helps!

That utility was absolutly BRILL !! First class !!

Many thanks for you help, you have removed a big weight from my shoulder !

Thanks

Russell.

Important Information

Terms of Use