Salesforce and other SMB Solutions are coming soon. ×

Global field

Kavitha

Hi all,

In my purchase order system i want to include a layout where i need to put a standard order conditions around 12 in no.

I have defined a global field called cond_std because most of the conditions will be same for all orders and i am letting the users to modify and add some more points also..

But i found once i closed my file and reopen it all the data in that field disappears

Am i right in defining the field type as global or it shld be something else..

Thanks in advance.,

Kavitha

Hi Kavitha,

From your description and if you do not plan to change the standard conditions to often I would make the conditionsField a text field with a value list. Then I when you have a conditionsField on the layout you right click it and select "Field Format", "pop-up list" and in the "using value list" pop-up list choose "Define value list" then define the value list with the generic standard conditions.

Don't select "Allow Edit"!

If you do this then you'll be able to choose your conditions from a standard generic list and change this when ever you want.

The global field acts strange because it's the same for every record in your file. So you do not actually change the global field in any record you are allways changing it for all the file.

Hope this helped.

Hi bergson,

The problem is if i choose it to be a text field, for each and every record we need to type the whole lot of conditions again..

when we create a new record again the cond_std value is empty..

Thanks

kavitha

RE: But i found once i closed my file and reopen it all the data in that field disappears

Am i right in defining the field type as global or it shld be something else..

1. Global field is common for all records, but on network is different for each user. When you open file with global field from server, the last values written to global will show up as first values. Then any user can change those values but after closing FM all changes are gone.

2. You can create preference file with single record holding all preference settings for all users. Then create many-to-one relation like 1-1 or A-A.

Hi Kavitha,

With the solution I proposed if you click on the field you get a pop-up list with all your standard conditions. This way you do not have to type all the conditions for every new record.

Another way to accomplish this (especially if do not have many diferent standard conditions) is when you create the field (that is define the standardConditionsField) in the Auto-Enter Tab tick Data and enter your text!

Maybe this should solve your problem.

Important Information

Terms of Use