Salesforce and other SMB Solutions are coming soon. ×

Artists Dates

Elizabo

I have two fields, artist forename and artist surname and would like a third field, artists dates, to show the dates the artists were born and died. So I have used an If calc that in effect said that if artists forename=marc and artists surname=chagall then artists dates=1887-1985 and it worked for one person except I need multiple(dozens, possibly hundreds!)ifs and thens in the same calc which I suspect could grind the whole DB to a halt. Could anyone suggest how to make this work? I also need to be able to enter manually into the artists date field. Thanks in advance.

Why do you not have the two dates in separate fields? ie: "Birthdate" & "DeathDate". This way, you can find and/or sort by either date as well as use calculations for age.

laugh.gif Tom

Thanks for the reply but I don't need to calculate the age of the artists. In an effort to minimise data entry mistakes I would like the artists dates field to show the appropriate dates when the artists name is entered in the other boxes - the surname and forename have to be in seperate boxes for sorting and other reasons. I will need to have all the artists dates entered somewhere and when the forename and surname match a fabulous calculation/formula type of thing will make the artists dates appear as if by magic in the date box... Well that's the plan but I can't make it work.

Create a concatenated key using the first name and last name of the artist.

Create another table of artists. Your fields should probably be first name, last name, date, and a concatenated key of first name and last name. Enter the appropriate artists and dates in this lookup table.

Create a relationship from your first/main table that looks at the new lookup table. The keys on each side should be the concatenated first name and last name keys.

Set the "date" field in your first/main table as a lookup field, based on the relationship you just created, and have it pull data from the date field in the lookup table.

Hope this helps.

(BTW, don't use first_name & last_name as the key, use a seperator in between such as first_name & " " & last_name. This will help protect you from exceeding the 20 char per word indexing limit FileMaker has.)

Hello Mariano

Thank you so much for your reply which I am confident is the very thing I need, I'll let you know tomorrow when I have a chance to try it out.

Liz

Important Information

Terms of Use