Salesforce and other SMB Solutions are coming soon. ×

1st Friday of each month

LewLew

I'm kind of new to FileMaker, but I am trying to find this calculation (I think it would be easy) sorry to be so ignorant.

Is there a calculation which (when a specific month is selected (as a button not a check box) in the MONTH FIELD would show the DAY and DATE in the SHOW DATE FIELD?

Please e-mail answer to lewisrouth@cox.net or lewlew@whattalewlew.com confused.gif

Tom: Thanks for responding. I would like it to display to FIRST Friday of the month chosen. Whatever date that would be. In other words, the FIRST Friday of August (just past) was Aug. 1, 2003. IF there is a FIELD called "Month" and that field has every month listed (Jan, Feb, Mar, etc.) as radio buttons. Each new record would allow the data input to choose a specific month (radio button) and once this has been chosen the First Friday FIELD would (by calculation) return the actual date of the first Friday of the month chosen.

Hi Lewis,

I think it would be important to also allow a User to select the year; otherwise, in January they may want to enter something for December?. Unless the option is given to enter a year, it could be a problem. The User would select from two pop-up lists (month and year). We could modify this for you if you’re sure they shouldn’t be able to ever select the year – or we can set it up to auto-insert the current year if the Year field is left blank. So, here’s one possibility:

You will need the following fields:

SelectMonth (standard, text) - (Value List – Custom – January, February, etc.)

SelectYear (standard, text) - (Value List – Custom – 2003, 2004 etc. with option to include ‘other’)

cMonth (calculation, date) = Date(Case(SelectMonth="January", 1,SelectMonth="February", 2, SelectMonth="March", 3, SelectMonth="April", 4, SelectMonth="May", 5, SelectMonth="June", 6, SelectMonth="July", 7,SelectMonth="August", 8,SelectMonth="September", 9,SelectMonth="October", 10,SelectMonth="November", 11,SelectMonth="December", 12,"")

, 1, SelectYear)

cConvertDate (calculation, date) = Date(Month(cMonth), 1, Year(cMonth))+Mod(13-DayofWeek(Date(Month(cMonth), 1, Year(cMonth))), 7)

When the User selects a month and year from the pop-ups, the first Friday of that month/year will appear in cConvertDate. smile.gif

Cheers,

LaRetta

Thanks, LaRetta!

I'll give this a try. It seems like it is the easiest of solutions!

I really appreciate the help.

LewLew smile.gif

Sorry, I forgot to correct the cConvertDate - it should be:

cMonth+Mod(13-DayofWeek(Date(Month(cMonth), 1, Year(cMonth))), 7)

The original calc would work, but it wastes resources. I had originally tried to combine them. Sorry for my error. smile.gif

LaRetta

LaRetta:

You made my day! I created the fields, inserted the calculations, formatted the fields and OUILA! It worked perfectly!

I just had to come back here and VOTE for you -- five big stars!

You're the best and I am forever grateful!

Just so you know, I am creating a data base of non-profit groups who will become the recipients of our "First Friday of the Month" benefit productions. My outrageous play performance company, Whatta LewLew Productions offers non-profit organizations an opportunity to apply for every single ticket dollar on the first Friday of each month.

Your assistance makes our job that much easier to track these worthy organizations.

Thank you again,

Lewis Routh

http://www.whattalewlew.com

I just wanted everyone to know that LaRetta not only made this happen for me, but took the time to E-mail me, too -- just to make certain I had seen the updated version of the calculation! FIVE STARS to that LaRetta!

Important Information

Terms of Use