Salesforce and other SMB Solutions are coming soon. ×

Container Fields and PDF Files

John Heffernan

We would like to store PDF marketing flyers in our events/registration/customer database if possible and be viewable on Mac and PC clients machines

I have found that if you link to an existing file, it seems to look only on that machines hard drive. If you do not check link, you get the Windows Object Packager which will not open the file. Mac clients see Windows OLE object and can not do anything.

Just wondering if I am missing something. Is there a way to do what I want?

I tried linking to our Novell File Server which will support Mac clients some year when our network adminisrator gets around to installing the software but I can't insert the file (the server program can not be found)...

John

If you are using a Mac, you can take a screen shot of just the PDF by using Command/4, outlining the area you wish to capture and letting go. This will create a pic file on the Mac hard drive. It can be converted to a jpeg by Photoshop or other application and then will be importable and readable by both platforms. As it will be only 72 dpi, it will not print particularly well, but will look OK on the screen. I am certain there is a function like this for windows or a 3rd party app that allows selective screen captures.

laugh.gif Tom

Someone here suggested storing the URL only to the PDF file stored on our web server which seems to be the best solution.

John

Important Information

Terms of Use