Salesforce and other SMB Solutions are coming soon. ×

Tracking field change

brainplug

Hello,

I was wondering if someone can help with this. Right now, i have a database and i am tracking all the users who make change to any record. what i want to figure out how log the previous user who made change to the record.

Example let say, john create a new record and than martha come in make changes to it. Than joseph comes after martha and make change to the same record. now i want to log that martha made changes to that record too.

the way i have it right now, joseph name overwrite martha in the log so i dont know who was the previous person who made changes to that record. I want a way where i can keep both joseph and martha names log somewhere.

This are the fields i am using right now:

ModificationDate- Indexed, Modification Date

ModificationTime- Indexed, Modification Time

ModificationUser- Modifier Name

any help would be appreciate it. if you have any questions or more exmplanation please let me know.

Hi,

There are various techniques for building a history of changes and who made them. In fact there are several demos at the links below that you might find to be of interest, as they are directly relevent to the issue you've raised:

http://www.nightwing.com.au/FileMaker/demos6.html#d1

http://www.nightwing.com.au/FileMaker/demos2.html#d1

They're free downloads, and might give you a point of reference to work from. wink.gif

Hi Ray, AuditLog is written on 5.5, correct, and not 5.0. So it needs the function Status(CurrentFieldContents) to work. Is this correct

Thanks

Ron

Hey Ray, that file is great. I wasn't looking for something like that but now that I see this file, I guess I actually was. Thanks. wink.gif

Ron,

You are correct that the files referenced above are designed to work with FMP version 5.5 and above.

However you may also be interested to know that comparable functionality is possibleusing earlier versions of FileMaker - albeit not so efficiently.

I do have a copy of the 'Rolling Log' demo which is created using v5.0 (ie it uses other functions in place of the 'Get Field( )' function etc). Email me if you'd like a copy.

As regards the 'Audit Tracking System' demo, as is indicated in the preamble on the opening layout, the method used has elements in common with earlier techniques developed by others, some of which pre-date version 5. There are likely still a few demos of some of those earlier methods to be found on a tour of the webring. However if you're stuck let me know and I'll see what I can unearth... wink.gif

Ray, in case my EMail didn't make it to you, I would very much appreciate seeing a copy of Rolling Log.

thanks in advance

Ron

Hi Ron,

I've made four previous attempts to send the files to you, using both the email address you sent me and also the one that you have listed on your Cafe user details. My emails keep coming back with messages saying they couldn't be delivered. The files aren't particularly large, so I doubt that is the problem. Perhaps your inbox is full?

I've just sent them out a fifth time for good measure.

If this lot don't reach you, perhaps you might like to suggest an alternative email address that I could send them to... confused.gif

Important Information

Terms of Use