Salesforce and other SMB Solutions are coming soon. ×

calculations between two databases?

allen

I am a newbie at this. the problem is that I have two databases one called stock control and the other my sales ledger. the problem is that i want to see the upto date stock in a field in my sales ledger database. so when stock comes in i open the stock control database put in the stock and when i go into the sales ledger the stock field has increased. then if i sell the product as soon as i have entered the details into the sales ledger the stock field in my sales ledger database has decreased by that sale. can anyone help as i am a newbie at this? thanks

Allen

I asked the same basic question in the previous post and Tom sent me an excellent example on how to do this. Look at his reply and e-mail him I'm sure he will send the files to you also.

John

Hi Allen

I am sending you a set of basic inventory relationships for you to model your program after. It works both to increase inventory upon receipt of goods and decrease upon sale of goods.

Tom

I don't know much about Tom's files, but I have unpleasant feeling, that relations and calculations between databases and records are used.

That is fine unless you want to have more records in databases. Then it will be the worst slowdown one can do in FileMaker.

Databases never should calculate across records. Only static numbers should be used.

Originally posted by Anatoli:

[qb]

Databases never should calculate across records. Only static numbers should be used.[/qb]

Anatoli is exactly 100 % correct.

Add or subtract should be on a single record.

Important Information

Terms of Use