Salesforce and other SMB Solutions are coming soon. ×

Date fields with a predefined template mm/dd/yyyy

Alexferry

Hi All,

I would like to know if anyone has a solution to automatically put in a date field the date slashes ../../.... (points are for reference only)BEFORE typing the date in the field.

I have tried to use mask fields, however the slashes apear AFTER the date entry.

Does anyone have any suggestion?

Thanks in advance

Alex

2 fields needed wink.gif

First

DateEnter = Text

Second

DateCalculated = calculation = Left(DateEnter,2) & "/" & Middle(DateEnter,3,2)& "/" & Right(DateEnter,4)

In the layout click on the DateCalculated and go to field format and turn off option to enter data in this field. Now place DateEnter (with a white fill) directly under DateCalculated.

When you click on DateCalculated , DateEnter will come to the front. When you enter 06042003 in the field and click out or tab to next field

DateCalculated will show 06/04/2003. cool.gif or confused.gif

Hi Chopper!

Thanks for your reply, but I have already done this as I put in my message (Field Masks). However, I would like that the slashes ( / / ) appear BEFORE entering any date in the Date enter field.

Is there any solution for this?

Because with mask fields people must enter the date without a mask to guide.

Thanks

Alex smile.gif

Alex,

You can format your date field to autoenter a data input mask (i.e., dd/mm/yyyy). Then format the field to allow entry, select entire contents. When a new record is created, the mask will show. When the user clicks into the field, the date he/she types will replace the mask.

Abbe

Hi Abbe,

Thanks for your solution.

I have already tried this, but I am imagining a mask that is mantained fixed in both cases:

1) when the date is displayed (without entering information in the field)

2) when you are entering information in the field. This case fails in all the solutions tried because the slashes disapper. frown.gif

Hope I could express the problem accordingly.

I am imagining that this type of approach is not possible in FM.

Thanks again for all the replies

Alex smile.gif

Sorry Alex, I really did expect you'd already tried this.

However, I'm not sure I understand your objections. Yes, the mask disappears once the person starts to type but surely your clients can remember the format for the short time it takes to type in their date. And for changes, the date is already there, in the proper format.

Or, you could have 3 fields, dateDay, dateMonth, dateYear, and place them on your layout with the slashes as text between...

Abbe

Thanks Abbe,

I think it does not have a solution to achieve the layout/data entry the manner I want.

Thanks for your kidness and responses !!

Alex

Important Information

Terms of Use