Salesforce and other SMB Solutions are coming soon. ×

Modification date

Audio Freak

Hello all,

I have a field modification date that needs to update automatically. User used to manually enter data into this database. Now the user is using another database with a barcode scanner. There is a sum calculation that keeps the Inventory database qty updated. What I need is any time the qty field changes due to the calculation I also need the modification date to reflect this. Any Ideas?

Thanks, Michael

If the record has been modified in ay way, it should update automatically if set to "Modification Date" under Define Fields.

Tom

It does not change when a record is added to the child database. The item # is the key field. If a new record is created and Qty in is entered the inventory qty changes based on the calculation but the Date modified field does not change. I thought it would also. It's stinks because I have a script that is relying in part based on this field. I'm really not sure how the best way to resolve this problem would be. Suggestions? Am I missing something really simple and stupid? That is usually the case when I have something that is not working, that I feel should be fine.

Michael

Michael

Originally posted by Audio Freak:

[qb]It does not change when a record is added to the child database. The item # is the key field. If a new record is created and Qty in is entered the inventory qty changes based on the calculation but the Date modified field does not change. I thought it would also. It's stinks because I have a script that is relying in part based on this field. I'm really not sure how the best way to resolve this problem would be. Suggestions? Am I missing something really simple and stupid? That is usually the case when I have something that is not working, that I feel should be fine.

Michael

Michael[/qb]

Maybe the concept "stinks" smile.gif

In any case, couldn’t you use unstored calculation field in required database?

Yes, Anatoli's suggestion would be a possibility and could be configured to provide a modification time which gives the most recent modification of the main db record or any of the related records.

The formula would be:

Max(MainDB_ModTime, Max(RelatedDB::RelatedModTime))

where 'MainDB_ModTime' is the existing modification time field in the main database, and 'RelatedModTime' is the modification time field in the related database. Both Max( ) functions are required, or else only the first related record will be checked.

...and as Anatoli noted, the calc would have to be unstored.

If you require for some reason that the Mod Time be a stored value, then you wish to consider setting up a script to update it. wink.gif

re: Maybe the concept "stinks" That was kinda harsh :eek: wink.gif Suggestions?

The calculation is unstored. I may just use a script to do this.

Thanks for your help.

Michael

RE: re: Maybe the concept "stinks" That was kinda harsh Suggestions?

Don't take me too seriously smile.gif You'll be surprised how many "stinking" concepts I've developed. It doesn't mean, that the "stinky" part has something to do with the author.

Did you try the concept? If everything fails, go for script.

re:Don't take me too seriously.

Anatoli I have been at the cafe and read a lot of your posts and did not take your comment seriously. I was just kidding myself and trust me I'm in the middle of redoing one of the first databases that I set up and it does not stink. In fact it totally SUCKS! I'm not sure what I was thinking when I set that one up. Maybe I wasn't thinking at all confused.gif

No I have not tried your suggestion yet but I will tomorrow morning when I sit down to work. Thanks for the advice. Keep up the great work.

Michael

Important Information

Terms of Use