Salesforce and other SMB Solutions are coming soon. ×

AutoEnter into field unique entry from another file

wes plate

Imagine that I need to give you a serial number so you can use my software. I want to use FM to get the number assigned to you.

I will have a serial numbers file containing the pool of serial numbers, then I would like an "assignment file" where I'll enter all your information and associate you with your serial number.

I would like FM to automatically pull a single (unused) serial number from the serial numbers file and insert it into the Assignment File.

Thank you for any suggestions.

• 2 months later...

Doug, can you please re-send the file that you sent? I am afraid that shortly after you sent it I had an Entourage mail melt-down and you mail was not recovered.

Thank you.

First of all, there are unique serial number generation examples out there. Do a search for unique serial number and look for one made for filemaker. I know I have seen several in my travels around the net. You might try Nightwing (Cobalt Sky's web site) as he covers almost every contingency.

Secondly, if your pool is made of unique numbers then your import of a number can be made at random as the uniqueness is aleady handled.

The assigment from the number file can be made by scripting a "Show all records" then "Omit" in the serial number file (This isolates one record for assignment), then switching to an import script in the assignment file, importing the isolated serial number and then switching back to the number file and deleting the used serial number and finally proceeding to the assignments for data entry. One could also use "Cut" and "Paste" to eliminate the delete step.

Hope this helps, Be well . . .

Tom laugh.gif

• 1 month later...

I am not looking for something that will generate serial numbers, the numbers will already be generated. I'm just looking for a way to make assigning serial numbers easier.

That's why there will be a file containing SNs.

I'm hoping our order-processing-person will get to the point of entering the SN for the order in the FM system we've built, and they'll just have to press a button and FM will select a SN from the SN file (a SN it has never selected before) and enter it into the appropriate field.

Doug, your example is awesome, however the "serial number" breaks at the hyphen in the number. For example, if the SN was "REDLT-06VAJBXC", then all the script enters into the assignment page is "REDLT". Maybe that LeftWords command doesn't let it use a "-" character?

Important Information

Terms of Use