Salesforce and other SMB Solutions are coming soon. ×

Entry into Calculation Field

Roland

I am wondering if anyone might know if it is possible to override a value in a calculated field and enter other data. If this is not possible, is there a better way to enter data into a field based on data from another field?

This calculation is for an account field:

E.G., If(Course=HIST,"1104",0)

In other words, if the course field has HIST (which stands for history), then the account field should read the history account number which is 1104. Works fine, but what if I wanted to charge another discipline (like philosophy which has account number 1200). I can't go in and just change the calculated field, or can I? Thanks for any advice you can give.

Roland

Hello Roland,

Rather than using a calculation field, I suggest that youdefine the field as a normal data field (eg text or number) and set an auto-entry by calculation option to place the value in it.

That way, the field will still calculate (ie when 'HIST' is entered into the Course field, it will be set to 1104) but from then on will be available to be edited like any other text field. cool.gif

Hi Ray,

Thank you so much. This works just fine. Your expertise saves me a lot of time from having to research. Thank you again.

Roland

Important Information

Terms of Use