Salesforce and other SMB Solutions are coming soon. ×

Auto enter number series

Rick Brown

Is FileMaker 5 (Win) or 6 (Mac) capable of auto entering a series of numbers into specified fields of a form? I'd like to tell FileMaker the first and last numbers of a number series and have it auto enter the series of numbers into the desired fields, each number of the series displayed sequentially, one per field. For example, I'd tell FileMaker to start with the number 3,295 in field #12 and end with 3,310, and it would auto enter 3,295 in field #12, 3,296 in field #13, etc. until it finished at 3,310 (in field #27). The starting field and number series could change with each record in the file

In a quick WWW search, I located a date "range" plug-in, but it doesn't quite seem like what I want, and I'd rather not plug-in. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance, Rick Brown

It would be helpful to know a little more about your project and what you are trying to do. If you could give more concrete practical examples we could provide the best solution.

Interested to know more.

Hello Rick,

What you're describing sounds very much like the specifications of a demo file which I recently updated to to work with FMPv6 (custom dialogs). If you're interested, you can download a copy of the demo at:

http://www.nightwing.com.au/FileMaker/demos/NumberRange.zip

The technique used is native FileMaker and works with FMP v5.0 and above.

The approach on which the demo is based was originally developed for a client who wanted to generate batch sequence numbers for student enrolments at a university, but has since found application in stats and medical research operations. You haven't said what context you want to put your number series' in, but it seems possible that the technique shown in the demo file could be adapted to suit your purposes.

The demo is a free download, and is unlocked - so if the technique should prove suitable, you will be able to take a look at how the scripts are constructed.

Gentlemen, thanks for your quick responses. Ray, your solution looks like just what I need. I've previously manually entered my data, and this looks like the perfect time saver.

Thanks again, Rick

Important Information

Terms of Use