Salesforce and other SMB Solutions are coming soon. ×

MLA Format

powercube

I am trying to combine all the fields in a MLA format. But I can't underline the name of the newspaper. If anyone know how to underline only part of the calculation in a calculation field , please

let me know

Thanks

Here is my formula I put in the calculation field. Period,Quote,Comma are globla field with its own puntuation.

MLAformat=

Last Name&Comma&First Name&Period&" " &Quote&Article Title&Period&Quote&" "&Newspaper Title&" "& Day(Date) &" "& Left( MonthName(Date),3 )&Period& " " & Year(Date)&Colan&" "&Page No.&Period

Hi

It is not possible in FileMaker Pro, to access text formatting in a calculation. It is on the wish list though!

What you can do is to use merge fields to achieve a similar result with the ability to format parts of the reference as you require.

Create a text object in layout mode and use Ctrl-M to access the fields you want. Apply text formatting to merge fields as required.

There is also a technique - albeit somewhat laborious to set up - by which text formatting can be applied by script to text within a field, such that it remains editable and can be copied etc (unlike the merge field solution).

If this is of interest, you'll find a demo file that uses the technique available for download from:

http://www.nightwing.com.au/FileMaker/demos/AutoFormat.zip

Despite the painstaking procedure to set up the required fields and scripts, there are occasions when it is worth the effort. I'll leave you to decide whether your current requirement warrants it. wink.gif

Originally posted by CobaltSky:

[qb]There is also a technique - albeit somewhat laborious to set up ... I'll leave you to decide whether your current requirement warrants it. wink.gif [/qb]

Thanks for the laugh Ray smile.gif That is a shocker!!!

Important Information

Terms of Use