Salesforce and other SMB Solutions are coming soon. ×

Problem with auto-enter serial number field

maura

I have the field "Group #", auto-enter serial, unique. When I open the file, and create a new record, the Group number is incorrect. It seems to be using the next serial number from the last record I had open before I closed the file previously.(umm, I'm not sure even I understand what I just typed...) It assigns this number even if the same number already exists. I am using a letter and number combination; the letter "C", then the serial number. Does anyone know what the problem might be?

thanks!

Your field, I hope is not a calculation but only a text field with the serial number option clicked on.

Your serial number wher it says next serial , Increment by 1 should look like this

C-1000

OK, so I see were I may be having trouble on both counts. I have the field set as a number field because otherwise the sorting is goofy. Also, I have no dash between the letter and the numbers. Is the dash necessary because FMP doesn't like blank space? Would it work as well to have no space at all, so: C1, C2 etc? I would rather do that, since people testing the database keep leaving out the space anyway. I'll try changing these and see what happens.

Hi Maura,

Yes, using a text field is preferable - particularly as in this instanc, where you want to include a non-numeric character in the serial. Number fields are not good places to store alpha characters! wink.gif

However once you are set up with a text field you will use a able to leave out the space, include a space, add a hyphen (as per Chopper's example), or some other combination. All will work equally well, so long as what you enter ends with a number.

Important Information

Terms of Use