Salesforce and other SMB Solutions are coming soon. ×

Display/print Return character

anke

In my system (MacOS 9/Greek Char Set/ FM6 English version) the carriage return character lies in the posistion of the capital greek pi letter.

When I use in a text calculation formula any text constant, containing the pi letter (e.g. field1 & "constant containing the pi letter"& field2 etc) I get a result with two rows: the first containing the chars before pi and the second the chars after the pi; the pi letter disappears since it is understood as a return char.

However, when a field value contains the pi char and this used in a calculation it is not considered as carriage return.

What I do, for the time, is to keep all instances of words containing the pi letter in a repeating field and use the values in the formula.

Is there anyway to force FM to consider CR char as a common one and not control char?

Hi anke,

The character you're referring to is an operator within the calc engine of FileMaker, and so it cannot be used directly with any other meaning.

A slightly simpler work around, however, is to establish a 'pi' field - either a global field or a text field (with auto entry set to insert a ¶ when the record is created) and then reference that field whenever you need a pi within your calculations.

The global field approach will seem a little more efficient, but will constrain your calculations to be unstored. If you want stored calcs, the auto-entry field will be the way to go.

It is still a work-around, but should be rather easier to manage (not to mention less resource-hungry) than a host of repeating fields throughout your solutions. wink.gif

Important Information

Terms of Use