Salesforce and other SMB Solutions are coming soon. ×

Getting a value

angel

In a calculation field, I would like to retrieve all the records containing a particular value, from a value list.

What's happening now is that, if I want all the records where field TYPE = "a", I will get the records with "a" only . However, what I would like to get are all the records containing "a", and there could be other values included as well, like "b" and "c"....Is there a way to do this?

Angel confused.gif

Hi angel,

I'm not exactly clear as to what you mean by retrieving records 'in a calculation field'. However it should certainly be possible to locate all records which have a particular value, by performing a find (and inserting that value into the value list field as the find criterion) and then if required, sumarize the found records using summary fields.

Alternatively, if what you mean is that you want to isolate and separate out one value from the rest, so that if it has been selected, it will appear on its own in a separate field, you could do that with a calculation field with a formula such as:

Case(PatternCount(TYPE, "a"), "a")

If neither of the above suggestions is what you are looking for, then perhaps it would help if you clarified a bit further. wink.gif

Thanks a lot,

Your second alternative, using the Case function did the job for me. I'm sorry I couldn't be any clearer, but despite that, you were quite helpful. I appreciate it. Thanks!

Angel

Originally posted by CobaltSky:

[qb]Hi angel,

I'm not exactly clear as to what you mean by retrieving records 'in a calculation field'. However it should certainly be possible to locate all records which have a particular value, by performing a find (and inserting that value into the value list field as the find criterion) and then if required, sumarize the found records using summary fields.

Alternatively, if what you mean is that you want to isolate and separate out one value from the rest, so that if it has been selected, it will appear on its own in a separate field, you could do that with a calculation field with a formula such as:

Case(PatternCount(TYPE, "a"), "a")

If neither of the above suggestions is what you are looking for, then perhaps it would help if you clarified a bit further. wink.gif [/qb]

Important Information

Terms of Use