Salesforce and other SMB Solutions are coming soon. ×

Should I use the Repeating Feature?

Carpet Capitol of the World

I am developing a database that works with various paper stock sizes. Any given piece of stock will ALWAYS have a WIDTH and a LENGTH. I started out by creating two number fields named:

WTrimSize

LTrimSize

Than I began wondering if this would be an appropriate time to use the REPEATING FIELDS option? I could set one field named TrimSize up with 2 repetitions.

I will need to be calculating with these values quite extensively. Will there be any pros or cons to which way I set this up?

Thanks

Sounds like a value list might be of more use. If you give users the option of selecting width and length, then how do you address stock which is available in a certain width, but not in a particular length - although that length might be valid for other widths.

You might use a related file to store the value list w x l selections (and maybe even have it so that both imperial and metric units could show as the user's choice). If you need the w and l for other calculations, it would be simple to parse it out of the value list, or have them imported from the related file.

As for repeating fields, I hardly ever use them anymore as relationships are easier to handle. But, repeating fields are handy for storing graphics and background colours for database design features.

Thanks Russ for the input (Also for the file)

I always seem to get in trouble when I try to make the post short by oversimplyfing the problem.

What I am actually storing are records of print jobs. Each print job has a TRIM SIZE which can be most anything! We print everything from clear Crack-N-Peel stickers that are as small as 1" wide by 1/2" high to large display panels of Styrene or Celtec that may run 70" or 80" tall and 10" to 40" wide. But a TRIM SIZE will always be TWO numeric numbers. The WIDTH and the HEIGHT.

Each print job also runs on a piece of stock which as you mentioned will come in certain standard sizes. We buy our Clear Crack-N-Peel in 54" x 40" sheets. Our Styrene and Celtec come in 48" x 96" sheets. Most of the time we cut the big sheets down to smaller press sheets before running.

So in addition to the TRIM SIZE I may also have a PRESS SHEET SIZE and a STOCK SHEET SIZE which I will need to track.

I am fine with tracking all this information and all of these sizes. My main question was simply would there be an advantage to creating only ONE field and having it contain 2 repeats for the SIZE information or would I be better off creating TWO fields one for each dimension of the size? When I got ready to implement mathematical equations on the information will it be easier to reference the information if it is stored in TWO SEPERATE fields? Or would it be convenient and just as easy to reference the information stored in ONE field with 2 repeats?

Thanks in advance for all of your sage advice.

At the moment in my own mind I am thinking I will stick with my original idea of creating TWO seperate fields.

Randy

Thanks Russ for the input (Also for the file)

I always seem to get in trouble when I try to make the post short by oversimplyfing the problem.

What I am actually storing are records of print jobs. Each print job has a TRIM SIZE which can be most anything! We print everything from clear Crack-N-Peel stickers that are as small as 1" wide by 1/2" high to large display panels of Styrene or Celtec that may run 70" or 80" tall and 10" to 40" wide. But a TRIM SIZE will always be TWO numeric numbers. The WIDTH and the HEIGHT.

Each print job also runs on a piece of stock which as you mentioned will come in certain standard sizes. We buy our Clear Crack-N-Peel in 54" x 40" sheets. Our Styrene and Celtec come in 48" x 96" sheets. Most of the time we cut the big sheets down to smaller press sheets before running.

So in addition to the TRIM SIZE I may also have a PRESS SHEET SIZE and a STOCK SHEET SIZE which I will need to track.

I am fine with tracking all this information and all of these sizes. My main question was simply would there be an advantage to creating only ONE field and having it contain 2 repeats for the SIZE information or would I be better off creating TWO fields one for each dimension of the size? When I got ready to implement mathematical equations on the information will it be easier to reference the information if it is stored in TWO SEPERATE fields? Or would it be convenient and just as easy to reference the information stored in ONE field with 2 repeats?

Thanks in advance for all of your sage advice.

At the moment in my own mind I am thinking I will stick with my original idea of creating TWO seperate fields.

Randy

I'd go for the 2 separate fields option. From a design perspective, later on, it will make scripted finds much easier. Repeating fields are a carryover from older (pre-relational) versions of Filemaker and, has already been pointed out, it is best not to use them

Hey!

Thanks both of you for the reply and SAGE ADVICE! smile.gif

I just wanted to be sure I was heading down the right road.

Important Information

Terms of Use