Sign in to follow this  
Bob S.

Re: Automating a script to run at midnight

Bob S.

This solution requires a dedicated PC to run, but has been working for me for several years. I'm running on the Windows platform.

I created a script which runs continuously via a loop. It checks the current time and, if that time matches a predetermined time, it performs other scripts. To avoid re-running the same called script multiple times the script Sets a specific field noting that the called script was run, along with the date and time that script was run.

I have several If/Endif loops in the primary loop, so there are multiple other scripts that are called throughout the day. I use these to export records/files at two different times during the day, import records/files at other times during the day.

The solution is not "elegant", but it's a reasonable way to utilize an older PC if no funds are available for a newer machine. I also use this same PC to run several Scheduled Tasks throughout the day to back up various PC's throughout my institution. It's worth the $1/day I pay for leasing costs. It's also been very reliable under Windows 2000 Professional.

andygaunt

John -

You might also want to look at some of the event trigger plugins that are out there.

HTH

Ted Silvan

FileMaker Server does have the ability to perform actions on a schedule.

I don't know about earlier versions, but FMS 5.5 can run a FileMaker script nightly.

beginners

2 Ted Silvan

Please say, how run FileMaker script by FMS?

Kevin Hayes

Look in the schedules section with the FMS admin tool.

beju0506

I saw this option, but in the FM manuals it says this is for apple scripts... how can one run a filemaker script in a hosted database from this? anyone have any idea? It would be very helpful for us!

Thanks!

Justin

Ted S
I don't know about earlier versions, but FMS 5.5 can run a FileMaker script nightly.

This would be nice but I'm afraid that it is impossible. FM Server runs OS level scripts but not Filemaker scripts. So it can run .bat or .cmd scripts but not Filemaker scripts.

beju0506

Roger that.

Thanks for clearing it up Ted!

-Justin

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

Terms of Use