Salesforce and other SMB Solutions are coming soon. ×

Automating a teacher gradebook program

klomba

Hello all! I have created a teacher gradebook and student record app using FM7 (Windows). However, I'm having a difficult time automating the process of entering grades.

There are three files: Students, Assignments, Grades.

In the Grades file, the relevant fields are a list of student names, "Fullname" (this is derived from Field:"Students::Fullname") and a list of assignments, "Assignments" (derived from List:"Assignments List",File:"Assignments").

Currently, I can enter student names, assignments, and scores manually via popup lists, but this is tedious.

What I would like to do is to set up a scripted button that will: (1) create new records that equal the total number of records in "Fullname", (2) insert each student name (one per record) into "Fullname", and (3) Insert the last listed assignment in each "Assignment" record.

(Another possibility is to pause the script so that the assignment can be manually selected instead).

The whole point of this is to manually enter the points awarded only. I suspect my dream script needs to loop, use the "set field" command, and use "pause/resume script." Yet, I don't know how to go about this. My efforts so far have not come close to achieving the desired effect!

Any pointers would surely be appreciated.

Originally posted by klomba:

[qb]

The whole point of this is to manually enter the points awarded only. I suspect my dream script needs to loop, use the "set field" command, and use "pause/resume script." Yet, I don't know how to go about this. My efforts so far have not come close to achieving the desired effect!

Any pointers would surely be appreciated. [/qb]

Try importing names to file where you are creating and entering names and assignments.

2 ways of doing it

1] a straight import of names in file

2] using a relationship to Student File

Student ID :: Student ID

with the student name and info define to lookup info in student file.

For the assigment automation , make a relationship to the Assignment file

Assignment Number :: Assignment Number

Assignment define as lookup of Assignment in Assignment file.

With only the new records in the found set

enter assignment number in first record

use replace command

i.e.

Replace [Assignment Number] [with current content] [no dialog]

Ah, but of course! And I already had my file relationships set up.

I tend to focus too much on one solution--scripting--as opposed to a better solution of creating an appropriate layout.

Thanks for setting me straight.

Important Information

Terms of Use