Salesforce and other SMB Solutions are coming soon. ×

AppleScript Clipboard Copy/Paste

frigante

Hi everyone,

I've got a script that gets applesciprt to invoke a script (Perl) and store its results in the clip board.

When I run the applescript alone, it works perfectly but when I run it from my Filemaker script in Filemaker the result does not get copied to the clip board.

Any idea why this might be?

I'm using FileMaker Developer 7.0 v2 on Mac OS 10.3.5

Anyone have any idea?

• 2 weeks later...

You're probably right, it is not something many people seem to do.

A search on "applescript" in this forum gives a mere 51 hits. From one of these I nicked the following which might be of some use to you.

Kjoe

smile.gif

The .com Solutions Inc. AppleScript scripting language guide provides a side by side quick reference for commonly used FileMaker 6 and FileMaker 7 AppleScript code examples. This FileMaker 7 AppleScript Reference is intended to aid developers who need to migrate existing FileMaker AppleScript code to work with the new relational model incorporated within FileMaker 7. This reference highlights differences in commands and returned values between differing versions of FileMaker, including returned values for field types and calculation formulas.

To download the .com Solutions Inc. FileMaker 7 AppleScript Reference please visit: www.fmpromigrator.com - downloads

Thanks, Kjoe - I s'pose I could've done that myself, but as some character on the Simpsons once said, "I'm a lazy, lazy man.."

No, seriously, I just never think of searching the board.

You could have, but I was not being cynical. 51 hits is not a whole lot considering the combination applescript-scriptmaker is potentially pretty powerful...

Plus a quick scan of those hits did not yield all that much information. A lot were just questions no-one answered, some were just vague references to applescript.

Y'know what, let's see if there's an applescript cafe out there, maybe they have a forum "applescript and filemaker" laugh.gif

kjoe

smile.gif

• 2 months later...

There isn't anything else using the clipboard is there? I try not to use the clipboard for this reason. Can you write the information to a file and then import the text using a FileMaker script?

My other thought is to try wrapping your Applescript code within a Finder tell block. I can't speak directly about FM7, however there was/is? a bug to Applescript within a FileMaker solution. To use any of the file "read" or "write" standard additions, they need to be inside a Finder tell block when used in a FileMaker script. For all I know, all the standard additions are that way.

Good luck.

Did anyone ever figure out a solution for P. Caira? He wanted to paste the result of an AppleScript into a FileMaker field. I'd like to capture the name of a Quicktime movie and paste it into a Global field. Any ideas?

• 3 years later...

If you pipe the output of the perl, to the pbcopy command via the commandline you should be able to paste the output into the field you want.

You are replying to a thread last touched 4 years ago. This board was powered by a different message board software and many of the people posting in this thread aren't around any more. kjoe being an obvious exception.

You are replying to a thread last touched 4 years ago. This board was powered by a different message board software and many of the people posting in this thread aren't around any more. kjoe being an obvious exception.

lol, about kjoe. P:

yea, I almost didnt post anything, but other people might be searching for the solution in the future. *shrugs*.

thanks for the tip too. :D

Important Information

Terms of Use