Sign in to follow this  
frigante

Exciting Free Plug-In!!

frigante

I don't get excited about much when it comes to FMP, but when I started using this little plug-in, I could hardly contain myself!

Filemaker Advisor magazine has compiled one of the example plug-ins from the Developer disc which allows you to trigger a script when a field is modified.

For those of you who have looked for this in the past, you might be familliar with the Troi Activator plug-in which does this among other things.

Well, this one's free and does the job perfectly!

I've traditionally favoured db/interface programming with embPerl/Apache/MySQL over anything else but FM7 has been catching up in my books and though the relationship limitations bumped my enthusiasm for FM7 down a bit, this new plug-in really helps fill in some very old gaps.

Anyway, if anyone out there wants to try it out and does not have access to Filemaker Advisor or the Developer Disc, let me know and I can post it on my web site.

darrenwalkert

I dont have the disk, how can I get hold of the plugin?

Thanks

Darren

MasterYoda

Ok, I have access to Advisor's Website, but what is the name of the plug-in? better yet, what's the link to download it on Advisor's site?

darrenwalkert

Hi Andy,

thanks for the link, I have followed it but cant find the plugin. What is it called?

I am just getting in to Filemaker, having moved into a job where the system was built in Filemaker. I have become responsilbe for its upkeep. I have to be honest I am really enjoying it, its a big learning curve, but this list has been so helpful. I hope that I will be able to give some help back in the future.

regards

Darren

andygaunt

Hi Darren -

Do a search in the resources section of the database pros website for " Hidden Plug-ins ".

HTH

frigante

Hi, sorry about the lateness - It was a holiday yesterday (Canada Day) and I was away.

Anyway, here's the link for the plugins if you don't have access otherwise:

Just go to http://caira.ca/ and look for the "XMpl Plugin" link.

If anyone has any questions about how to use it, let me know - I've been using it for a few different things...

pc

CobaltSky
Originally posted by frigante:

[qb]...Well, this one's free and does the job perfectly![/qb]

Not so I'm afraid. :eek:

If a script is triggered from a calculation, it is *vital* that the unique ID of the record on which the trigger originated be passed to the script and used within the script to ensure that the script acts on the appropriate record. Otherwise, if the user leaves a field that the script trigger calc depends on by navigating to another record (by any of various means), the script will act on a record which was not the one it was triggered from. Depending on the nature of the script in question, this may be a minor disaster or a major catastrophe. Either way it is not a risk I'd advise you to take.

Commercial products such as Activator provide a built-in solution to this potential hazard by enabling the passing of a parameter with the script call - by which the script can identify which record it should act upon.

The example plug-in referred to on this thread does not have that capability - understandably, since it has been provided as an *example* of a few things that a plug-in might do to show intending developers ways to go about it. It is simply not suitable for commercial release nor for use in end-user products in its present form.

I fear that web sites which appear to be promoting the idea that the example plug-in is ready for 'prime time' as a solution to script triggering needs are not doing anyone any favours. confused.gif

frigante

Thanks for the warning, Ray!

I hope no one thinks I'm trying to tout this plugin as a commercial product - it's simply a great tool for those of us who don't have the time or skill to write a plugin or the budget to buy a one to do this.

As with anything in database programming, you have to be careful and think about what you're doing. I'm sure there are other pitfalls to using a plugin like this, but if you don't at least try it, you'll never know what you're missing or not missing.

BTW, Filemaker Advisor doesn't seem to be promoting the idea that this example plug-in is ready for prime time - which web sites are promoting this idea?

pc

CobaltSky

[qb]...a great tool for those of us who don't have the time or skill to write a plugin or the budget to buy a one to do this.[/qb]

Hi pc,

If you're looking for a freebie that doesn't have the drawbacks I mentioned - ie you could set it up for use in a production environment without imminent risk of data corruption, perhaps download the free script triggering 'zippScript' by John Kornkaus, which is available online at:

http://homepage.mac.com/jkornhaus/

[qb]...BTW, Filemaker Advisor doesn't seem to be promoting the idea that this example plug-in is ready for prime time - which web sites are promoting this idea?[/qb]

Actually, I was thinking more of the databasepros site. wink.gif

frigante

Hey Ray, Thanks for the link!

I haven't had a chance to try it yet, but I will be.

BTW, I wrote a script that goes with the example plugin which sort of creates an object which describes the environment from which the script was triggered so that nothing gets confused or corrupted.

pc

Antonio

Does anyone have experience with EventScript from http://www.softs4humans.com/FMPro_Plugins.html

It's also free, allows passing of parameters, and in addition to triggering a script from a calc or validation, does some neat (but elaborate) things with permissions to trigger a script before giving the user the permission to enter a field.

Ugo DI LUCA

Yes,

I've been finally playing with it for a while yesterday. Perfect so far.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

Terms of Use