Salesforce and other SMB Solutions are coming soon. ×

button to open a file

imacuser

I would like to create a button that, when clicked, will browse the directory for a file and launch it with its native app. i already have a button for the data entry person that will retrieve a file path and put that in a field. I now want to click a second button by the user to now retrieve the file.

make sense?

TIA

Yes, makes sense but I do not think it can be done from within FileMaker Pro. I perceive that you are trying to launch a completely unrelated application from within the FMP application. To do that, FMP would have to have a complete operating system built into it to recognize the thousandfs of different kinds of applications that may exist on your computer. Don't think so.

Be well . . .

Tom confused.gif

Hi

The script step is actually "Send Event" In FMP 7 and "Send Message" in previous FMP versions.

Sorry J Wenmeekers

Serge

On a mac, it's "send apple event". I tested this, but although it opens the target application OK, the file specified in a field does not open. My guess i've got the pathname wrong. It's either unixoid in OSX (~/users/myaccount/documents/filename) or apple-oid (HD30gig:users:myaccount:documents:filename) i don't know, neither works. I'm thinking this should be Imacuser's scriptstep though smile.gif

I'm on a win box here. I've tried everything I can think of, but I can't seem to get any field to hold a file location path, i.e. a script button to set a path, then another button to "run" the file at that path using an app.

thanks for the suggestions, anyway.

imacuser wrote:

[qb]I'm on a win box here...[/qb]

hmnn... well that was unexpected?! :rolleyes:

Notwithstanding the fact that you are a Windows iMac user, I suggest that you take a look at either or both of the DialogMagic and Troi File plug-ins:

http://www.troi.com/software/fileplugin.html

http://www.nmci.com/Product_Overview.htm...58D32DB2E1AB573

Both are x-plat - and both are capable of:

1. retrieving the path to a file selected on the fly by a user, and

2. launching that file into its native application.

- from within a FileMaker v4.x, v5.x, v6.x or v7.x script.

Important Information

Terms of Use