Salesforce and other SMB Solutions are coming soon. ×

Importing .TXT File

Audio Freak

Hi guys,

We have a spam catcher program running at work which allows us to filter out unwated emails. Company receives about 300 to 400 spams daily. The log file has to be checked to make sure that no good emails were blocked. We know what filters are the most likely to block a good email.

I would like to be able to get the file into Filemaker to be able to search for the filters that are most likely to block a good email.

The log looks like this:

---

To:Stan Reed , Thomas Dohmen , Ure Thra

Subject:[Drone] Drone Zone

Date:February 12, 2004, 20:10:52

Deleted on: February 12, 2004, 20:36:41 from

Filter:drone

---

---

To:[email protected]

Subject:hi

Date:February 12, 2004, 21:52:26

Deleted on: February 12, 2004, 21:52:36 from

Filter:Novarg Subject

---

I tried coverting the file into Filemaker but that treats each line as a record. I know a way I can parse the info into fields but, how can I get Filemaker to create a new record when needed(The parsing will have to take place 300 to 400 times.

Maybe the text file could be converted to another type of file before the import into Filemaker. Or is there a way to clean up the text file itself before import?

I'm going to keep trying at this. Hopefully someone here will have a suggestion.

Thanks, Michael

Why are you fighting taking it into a text editor and doing find and replaces.

Your file would be a piece of cake.

Find returnTo: and replace with TabTo:

Find returnSubject: and replace with TabSubject:

Find returnDate: and replace with TabDate:

etc.

Find --- replace (with nothing)

Find Return Return replace Return

There might be some adjustment needed to this, but that is the basics.

Just make sure that the cleaned up text looks like this (one line per record)

From:Ferrara Brain Pan To:Stan Reed , Thomas Dohmen , Ure Thra Subject:[Drone] Drone Zone Date:February 12, 2004, 20:10:52 Deleted on: February 12, 2004, 20:36:41 from Filter:drone

From:[email protected] To:[email protected] Subject:hi Date:February 12, 2004, 21:52:26 Deleted on: February 12, 2004, 21:52:36 from Filter:Novarg Subject

One line for each record, and single returns before each record.

Import as a tab separated text file.

HTH

Lee

Hi Lee,

Thanks for the tip. That is what I assumed. If I could get all the info on 1 line it would import no problem. Well I used VEDIT to get the info on 1 line using a tool that turns the paragraph into 1 line. I thought I had this, but it imports breaking off parts of the line. Its very random so I'm still working on this. :eek:

Hi Michael,

Email me a copy of the file (I don't think you can attach a copy in Cafe???), and I'll look and see if I can spot what's not cleaning up for you

Lee

laugh.gif

Hi lee,

I will email you the original file and the one I converted with VEDIT. Im new to this type of stuff and appreciate your help. laugh.gif

Just sent Files Lee. Thanks

I would like to thank Lee for taking the time today to explain the process of cleaning up this text file for import into Filemaker. Nice to know that people are willing to take the extra step to teach you so you can grow and continue to learn. laugh.gif

Thanks Again Lee wink.giflaugh.gif

Important Information

Terms of Use