Salesforce and other SMB Solutions are coming soon. ×

Sharing over Windows 2000 and Windows ME

Mick Smith

I've created a database in Filemaker 5.5 I need to share across a network. There have been no problems with the network as far as sharing files, etc. The file and program are already setup to share with TCP/IP and the files are set to multi-user mode.

The two machines are a desktop with Windows 2000 Professional and a laptop with Windows ME.

When I have the file open on either machine and I try to access it from the other machine, when I click "Hosts" in the open pop-up there are no files that appear. I've tried specifying the IP address of each machine with no success.

If the file is open on the win2000 machine and I try to open the file directly from the winME machine, I receive a message of the file currently being in use.

However, If I have the file open on the winME machine and try to open it directly from the win2000 macine I'm allowed access and can perform all the functions one is allowed when logged in as a guest.

Any thoughts? My guess is that WindowsME is a horrible operating system and there is some networking glitch between the two that isn't allowing me to find the Host file.

Thanks in advance!

:

Originally posted by Mick Smith:

[qb]

If the file is open on the win2000 machine and I try to open the file directly from the winME machine, I receive a message of the file currently being in use.

However, If I have the file open on the winME machine and try to open it directly from the win2000 macine I'm allowed access and can perform all the functions one is allowed when logged in as a guest.

Any thoughts? My guess is that WindowsME is a horrible operating system and there is some networking glitch between the two that isn't allowing me to find the Host file.

Thanks in advance![/qb]

Sounds like an upgrade or even a downgrade may in order.

Try going to microsoft.com and see if there are any service packs or patches that may take care of this problem.

Either that or just make the WinME computer your Host. Sorry I can't offer anymore.

This thread is quite old. Please start a new thread rather than reviving this one.