Salesforce and other SMB Solutions are coming soon. ×

Applescript equivalent for Windows XP

jondolar

Hi Everybody

This question have probably been asked many times before but I could not find any reference to it by searching the archive. As we all know, MAC users have a wonderfull tool to interact with FMP namely Applescript. Is there an equivalent tool or close to it for Windows XP?

TIA

Serge

I'm not familiar with the API that FileMaker exposes to AppleScript - but I believe its more robust than anything in Windows.

Could you please post a brief summary of the FileMaker hooks that are available to AppleScript?

In Windows, FileMaker can be instantiated programmatically as an ActiveX object. Unfortunately, the methods that FileMaker exposes as an ActiveX object are quite limited. Its been a while since I looked into it, but basically you can only open and close the application (hidden or visible), call scripts, and I think that's it.

Alternatively, you can use many different programming models to interact with FileMaker via HTTP and XML, using FileMaker's web companion and its CGI spec.

An perhaps finally, you can write a plug-in and utilize the FileMaker API made available in C++ (which is still extrememly limited).

I guess the bottom line is that (as far as I know) there is no language or tool in Windows that offers as much functionality or control over the FileMaker application as AppleScript.

Hello Serge, Hello Mariano,

In addition to the options outlined above, a certain amount can be done on Windows using VBscript. It's not an exact parallel for AppleScript, but there are some points of overlap.

Although I use it at need, I profess no special expertise in the use of VBscript, but you'll find a couple of excellent articles on the subject by Wim Decorte in this year's April/May and November issues of FileMaker Advisor magazine. Plus there are various online resources with syntax references etc. wink.gif

Important Information

Terms of Use