Sign in to follow this  
LindaG

Embed html in multiple emails

LindaG

Hi Cafe persons,

Oh. I'm in trouble now. I've been telling my boss FM can do anything ... which is true, but that doesn't mean I can. frown.gif Please give me some ideas on this one.

He gave me text list of 300 customer names and their email addresses. And he wants me to send each one an individual email with text & merge fields in it AND a html thing in an email. Well, I've been trying to figure out how in blazes to do this!? I've attached links in emails just by typing them but I don't think this is the same thing!?!

I know I can import fine and even write the looping script to Send A Message, right? But I know nothing about html. How do I insert something into the body of an email? Is it a container field or something? In fact, how do I insert ANY data into an email in FM? I know I can add text in Send A Message, but that's static & limited!

Do I just use '[]' like I do in URLs? Sorry to be so dumb, but I'm beyond pride on this one. I need some basic direction fast. confused.gif

Linda Gent

DAC

andygaunt

Linda -

Just how much HTML are we talking here? Is it just a URL or an email address?

Or are you talking full HTML including tables, formatting etc?

As to HOW to do this.

One option is to use a templates file that has the email created with merge fields in it (something like >, > etc.

Then you can take the template and use that in your records and by scripting it you can Substitute the merge fields for the actual field information (or use GetField)

Another option is to create the email inside a field (usually a calculation field). The problem with this is it can get tricky to get the formatting correct.

To truly get HTML out of your emails you may need the use of a plug in like SMTPit from www.cnsplug-ins.com

And as a shameless plug you can check the link at the end of this email laugh.gifwink.gif

I hope this direction was fast enough and more to the point useful.

HTH

LindaG

Hi Andy,

eBullet sounds like my answer and I'll certainly download it. This is just a one-time (he swears but I don't believe him) email and it's a one-page html document. He even inserted it in the email he sent me - it has a moving shopping cart and everything! smile.gif I don't know how he did that! And I don't want to ask ... I'm supposed to know all this stuff.

I doubt I can talk him into the money just yet but I have a budget meeting coming up in three weeks. I'll be hitting them for Troi Automizing and a few other things. This will now be on the list. If we get this, can we use it with our existing FM database? I would want it seamless (invisible) and easy for our people. It looks pretty easy to use.

In the meantime, how hard is to take a document with a html extension and insert it into the email? Please say I can pull this off...I've been messing up a bit lately (over my head) and I could use the kudos (he's been doubting my abilities not that I blame him), but holy cripes he get's me for nearly nothing and you always get what you pay for! What does he expect? A programmer?

Sorry to vent ... I think if I can get this one piece, I can somehow pull it off. What do you think?

Linda

LindaG

I think I just answered my own question. The coding in your template example look pretty complex. frown.gif

I guess I'll have to just tell him I don't know how and then watch his face turn interesting shades of red. smile.gif

Linda

Anatoli

Try first the SMPTit plugin -- demo is fully functional.

Try constructing HTML in Outlook Express.

Do you know enough of HTML?

Pity I left LA in April. It will be nice family trip to San Diego smile.gif

LindaG

Try constructing HTML in Outlook Express. Do you know enough of HTML?

Anatoli

Do not worry. You are FM expert and not HTML.

To get start fast -- get trial version of Adobe GoLive and construct HTML page with "Hello World" and see the code.

Ask people around you to help you with constructing some HTML.

In SMPTit is (I believe) with HTML mail.

Ask questions...

andygaunt

The only problem with the SMTPit demo is that it adds a line of text to the end of the email saying this email has been sent using a trial version of SMTPit.

Obviously you would not want this if sending a real email shot out.

Anatoli is correct that getting advice is a great thing and always ask questions. You said your boss sent you an HTML email already. Click on that message and from the View menu choose Source and you will see what the HTML looks like for that.

And yes, SMTPit comes with an HTML example.

The Digital Man

Linda,

SMPTit is really a cool plug-in. And as Anatoli points out it is fully functional even before you pay. It simply appends a little message at the end explaining that the email was sent using it in demo mode. But you can get all the programming wrinkles ironed out and make sure it is going to work for you before paying. It is also not that expensive. You could almost pay for it yourself if necessary to get the job done. I am using it and really like it! smile.gif

I have it attaching PDF files to my emails as well as constructing the body of them complete with Purchase order numbers, the Quantity ordered etc. It gets the email addresses out of my customer file and sends out the emails. I highly recommend it. HTML is not that hard to learn. It sounds scaryier than it really is. It stands for HEIARCHAL TYPOGRAPHERS MARKUP LANGUAGE. And basically means that it is a programmatical way of defining how a document should look. You've probably never typeset before but in the old days when we set type on the old Varitypers we basically were setting a form of HTML. We had to issue all the various codes to tell the machine what font, what size, etc. Thats all it is. Codes enclosed in bracketts that dictate size, color, font etc.

LindaG

Oh I found the Source! So if I use SMTPit (buy it) and plug in this source code (copy/paste), I'll be in business?

Please say yes even if you must lie. smile.gif

Linda Gent

DAC

Anatoli

Yes and I hope I am not lying. It is unknown concept for you, but you'll figure that in no time -- OK in short time.

rogermax
Originally posted by The Digital Man:

[qb]Linda,

It stands for HEIARCHAL TYPOGRAPHERS MARKUP LANGUAGE. And basically means that it is a programmatical way of defining how a document should look.[/qb]

How odd, I always thought it stood for Hyper Text Markup Language. But I guess it doesn't really matter...so long as it looks right when received. tongue.gif

LindaG

Well bosso was gone today! I'm in luck! I'll work on this tonight and let you know how it goes. Wish me luck and thanks so much to all of you for helping me with this.

Andy, I haven't downloaded eBullet yet but will ... it looks like it makes things so easy (particularly for people like me) and I think we should go this route. Did you write this program? I like your interface and actually got a few ideas from the layout. Thanks for pointing it out to me. smile.gif

And I'm going to watch what I say in the future. I'm going to preface everything with ... "I think it can be done and I think I can do it." No more "Oh yeah, no prob' out of my mouth! smile.gif

Lucky Linda

LindaG

Oh God!!! It can be done!!! It took me 5 minutes to set up SMTPit and plug in my mail host. Then I copy/pasted the HTML code into the body and emailed it to myself! Incredible!

One strange thing however; the email I received had a few graphics but when I emailed a test to myself, the graphics places just show a little red 'X' and a filename. Hmmmm, I need those graphics files, right? Where should they be placed so they can be accessed for including in the email? One was a dancing shopping cart - does that mean it's a gif? The other was our company logo at the top - no dancing or moving - just a logo. How do I include those in the email. I'd like the shopping cart to dance like it's supposed to. smile.gif

Oh this is such fun! I think I'll be ready to finish it tomorrow if I can just nail this one piece together! I've already imported the email names and addresses. Will it automatically send to everyone in the db or do I need to script a loop or something.

I guess I'm not quite done yet, huh? But I'm getting close! Any help with this graphics piece and how to send multiple would be appreciated! I'll keep reading the documentation also ... I'm just pretty tired and running out of time. Thanks for all your help everyone. I owe you all so much... smile.gifsmile.gif

Linda (Happy) Gent

DAC

Anatoli

In short:

Pictures are not usually sent with HTML email, but as absolute (full) URL address like http://www.didi.cz/test/imag/workplace.jpg

Or you can see that picture workplace.jpg

In Outlook Express you can also include images in HTML email and check that code, how it is embedded.

HTH

andygaunt

Linda -

eBullet is designed to do exactly what you are trying to do. It makes life easy to create HTML emails and send them.

At present we are working on the next version. The previous version did not have a download but this one will. Yes I wrote this program. Glad you liked the interface of that version. If you are interested in being notified of the release of the next version go to the website www.fusiondzine.com and fill in the eBullet newsletter form.

Anatoli is correct with the images in that if you place them on a web server the email size will be reduced. Hey Anatoli, looks like you cleaned your desk pretty good before taking the photo laugh.giftongue.gif .

Another option is to use inline images. Check the SMTPit documentation.

As to sending the email to everybody you will need to write a script. Again check the SMTPit demo for details of this.

Congrats on working the problem, not giving up and not giving the boss any ammo against you laugh.gif .

The Digital Man

Thank you Roger for keeping me straight!

How odd, I always thought it stood for Hyper Text Markup Language. But I guess it doesn't really matter...so long as it looks right when received.

Roger is correct, My neurons get jumbled from time to time. I got the last two words right laugh.gif

Anyway, I'm glad I don't have to typeset that way anymore. smile.gif

Anatoli

RE: Hey Anatoli, looks like you cleaned your desk pretty good before taking the photo

There isn't any space left for papers and stuff smile.gif

And the EIZO 19" was bulky monitor, although the best I've ever saw.

Notice, that 19" CRT has the same size as 17" LCD smile.gif

Audio Freak

I see you have your trusty remote control ready at your side wink.gif

LindaG

Hmmm, when I right-click the shopping cart picture it gives me the same source code as the entire email.

I found reference to images but have no idea what it means:

script language="JavaScript"

!--

function sw_on(fname) {

if(document.images){

document.images[fname].src= "../controls/" + fname + "_on.gif";

self.status="Welcome to Delta Alliance.com";

}

}

function sw_off(fname) {

if(document.images)

document.images[fname].src= "../controls/" + fname + ".gif";

}

function WM_preloadImages() {

/*

WM_preloadImages()

Loads images into the browser's cache for later use.

Source: Webmonkey Code Library

(http://www.hotwired.com/webmonkey/javascript/code_library/)

Sorry it's spread out and ugly - it all looks like that. frown.gif I just can't figure out how to stick a picture in it. I want to try Anatoli's suggestion but I'm unsure where to 'stick it' within all this code - it's quite long. How does the html know where to place the pictures on the page?

I've got the scripting figured out and I'm ready to go but I can't put the pictures within it. It's very difficult to read. Maybe I'd better tell them I'll do it but whoever wrote that html code had better provide everything I need to paste into SMTPit. What do you think?

ps - sorry I had to remove the lessthan/greaterthan brackets - Cafe said I couldn't use them in this post. I'm such a ninny.

Linda Gent

Mariano Peterson

Try pasting the code again, but put

[/CODE][/b] tags around your code.  Then we'll be able to see the code more clearly.

Here's what's going wrong:[code]document.images[fname].src= "../controls/" + fname + "_on.gif";
-and-
document.images[fname].src= "../controls/" + fname + ".gif";

These should instead read:

document.images[fname].src= "cid:part1";
-and-
document.images[fname].src= "cid:part2";

This tells the email program to use the embedded images (cid:part1 and cid:part2) instead of images on the mail recipient's local file system. Since you're referencing the embedded images, you'll have to make sure to embed the images using SMTPit's external function:

External("SMTP-HTMLImageAssign", some_field)

In this example, "some_field" is a global text field that contains the local file path to the images on your computer:

c:My Imageslogo.gif
c:My Imagesproduct shot 1.jpg

In this examle, "c:My Imageslogo.gif" becomes cid:part1 and "c:My Imagesproduct shot 1.jpg" becomes cid:part2. Unfortunately, it looks like the filenames are being dynamically generated using JavaScript inside the body of the HTML (which is not visible in your post). This means that you'll need to get into the JavaScript code and tweak it a little bit. I think at that point it may be fair for you to ask the author of the HTML and JavaScript to adjust it so that the image paths use "cid:part1", "cid:part2", etc. - basically, ask the JavaScript dude to make the code compliant with email image embedding. You can print this explanation out and the JavaScript dude should be able to figure out what needs to be done.

If that's a problem, just post your code back using the code tags so that the code doesn't get hidden on the web page, and we'll try and translate it for you.

Hope this helps, and good luck!

Anatoli
Originally posted by Audio Freak:

[qb]I see you have your trusty remote control ready at your side wink.gif [/qb]

That is Nokia cell phone smile.gif I don't own much more smile.gif

Anatoli

BTW Linda, this is whole new ballgame.

You as FM programmer should be made responsible for all around FM and such stuff, but this is getting heavy.

Tell them to supply you with everything in proper e-mail HTML format and you'll be able to email-it out.

This might get pretty complicated and if you touch it, you maybe blamed for eventual failure. Make clear line between you and other stuff and responsibilities.

andygaunt

Linda -

Send me a copy of your html via email. Place it in a text doc and email that.

LindaG

Hi everyone,

It's now back in the hands of the Java Dude. smile.gif Andy, I didn't read your kind offer until that evening and I had already told them at work that day to provide me with what I needed. I even quoted Mariano, thanks for that. smile.gif

Thank you everyone for helping me on this.

I have one more quick question about this. At least I think it's quick. I wrote the script to loop and send but now I see a Go script in Mass Mailing which loops like mine did (although much more complex). Am I supposed to import my records into this fp5 to always perform SMTPit-type mailings? Or am I supposed to re-create their entire fp5 in mine?

Sorry for the silly question. I don't know plugins yet - although I have several on my list so I'd better figure this out. smile.gif

Linda

CobaltSky

Hi Linda,

The intention is that you re-create those part of the example scripts that come with the plug-in, within your own files.

Rather than writing the scripts from scratch however, you coudl simply rename a few fields (so they match up with the example file) and then import the script into your file.

Once the 'example' script is in your file you will need to check over it to make sure that everything is connecting up (ie pointing at the right fields in your file etc) and may want to edit it to delete any sections that aren't relevant to your requirements or add your own options. wink.gif

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

Terms of Use