Salesforce and other SMB Solutions are coming soon. ×

Problem with "and" in a script

Ruben Slayer

I hope someone can steer me in the right direction, I have FMP 5.5 and I am trying to have the script check 5 field to see if they are empty and if so to display a message.

When I only use three fieldnames it performs the script but, when I add more field it does not execute.

Is there a limitation to how many fields a script can execute, it also happens when I have the script add fields, after the third fields it does not execute.

ie. Length(field1) + Length(field2) + Length(field3) and so on.

Thanks for any help on this, from a true beginner.

Hello Ruben,

There's no limit on the number of fields that can be addressed (eg checked) by a FileMaker Pro script. Scripts that check many dozens of fields are not uncommon.

It's hard to say why your script is failing, as you've not provided much information, but it's certainly not the result of any inherent limits of the type you were imagining.

Perhaps if you were to post a more detailed description of your script, someone here might be able to pinpoint where it is going wrong... wink.gif

Thank you for answering Ray,

It seems that somehow my database got corrupted or some files deleted.

I backed-up my records and deleted the database, re-intstalled the back-up copy of the database and "magically" it was fixed!!!

Sorry for wasting prime space. cool.gif

Embarrassed

Hi Ruben,

Corruption is not common, but can occur. Especially when FileMaker is not shut down properly (eg as is the case if the computer crashes).

If FileMaker is in the process of writing to disc when the application is unexpectedly terminated, corruption can occur which can give rise to the kind of perplexing 'symptoms' you were encountering. This is because parts of the file which were being updated at the time of the termination don't match properly with parts that were yet to be written to disk.

Anyway, glad to hear that you're back on track, and good on you for keeping regular backups! wink.gif

Important Information

Terms of Use