Salesforce and other SMB Solutions are coming soon. ×

how to create serial # after import

hello everyone

I have a DB with many records. I need a script that can assign serial numbers to the records after I find the record

1,2,3 and so on and so fort confused.gif

I know it must be very simple but I can not get it to do this

Thanks smile.gif

If I understand your question correctly, one option would be to assign them during the import. You get an dialogue box for auto-enter option right before the actual import.

If you are using the file in single user mode, you can store the next serial value in a global field, and set your serial numbers with a script that runs along the lines of:

[/b]Set Field ["Serial#", "gNextSerialNumber"]

Set Field ["gNextSerialNumber", "gNextSerialNumber + 1"][/b]

If you need the funtionality to hold up in Multi-User mode (where global fields are not shared and only host global field changes are saved) you can do so by:

1. Using a number field in a related 'global values' file (where the relationship is based on a calculating constant field - eg with the formuls set to 1 - in both files) and referencing it with a similar script, viz:

[/b]Set Field ["Serial#", "GlobaValues::NextSerial"]

Set Field ["GlobaValues::NextSerial", "GlobaValues::NextSerial + 1"][/b]

or

2. You can set up a self join relationshiip (using a calculating constant field and matching it to itself) then use the formula:

[/b]Set Field ["Serial#", "Max(SelfJoin::Serial#) + 1"][/b]

This latter method will work well, but be aware that if your file size is (or will become) large (eg 10,000 records upwards) the Max( ) calculation may become noticeably slower to execute, as it will have to 'canvas' 10,000 records each time it computes.

Important Information

Terms of Use