Salesforce and other SMB Solutions are coming soon. ×

Stock in and (in this case) out

Override

Hello everybody,

i want to make a small "shop assistant" for my wife, so she has to press articel number and quantity, confirms, and then it deducts the sold item from the field stock. I cant get my head around, how do i deduct that stock?

If anybody could help me with that, would be great,

Thanks,

Override

• 2 weeks later...

The answer to your question depends on exactly how it is that you are calculating your stock levels to begin with.

But an approach you might like to consider is one that uses three files, say: StockCatalogue.fp5, InwardStock.fp5 and StockSales.fp5

Within StockCatalog, you describe all the items you sell (one record per item) and give them each a CatNo (catalogue number or stock number - call it what you will...).

In InwardStock.fp5, you list all the stock currently on hand (one record for each item in the stocktake) and then you add an additional record for each batch of items received. So for example, you might have an item which is number 37 in the catalogue (let's say it is a cotton reel) and you have thirteen of them at stocktake. The next week you receive a shipment which includes another 20 cotton reels. You'd then have two records in your Inward stock file for cotton reels, one showing CatNo 37, quantity 13 and the other showing CatNo 37, quantity 20.

Now create a relationship called 'Stock' within StockCatalogue.fp5 which links to InwardStock.fp5 via the CatNo fields in both files. Then add an unstored calculating field called 'StockReceived' in StockCatalogue.fp5 with the formula:

StockReceived = Sum(Stock::quantity)

Next create a relationship called 'Sales' within StockCatalogue.fp5 which links to StockSales.fp5 via CatNo fields in both files. Then add an unstored calculating field called 'StockSold' in StockCatalogue.fp5 with the formula:

StockSold = Sum(Sales::quantity)

Within both the InwardStock.fp5 and StockSales.fp5 files, create relationships to the StockCatalogue.fp5 file based on the CatNo field. You can then use these relationships to automatically display catalogue item names, prices and other catalog details on the layout lists in both files.

Finally, you should add one more field to StockCatalogue.fp5 called 'Inventory' which will also be an unstored calculation. The formula will be"

Inventory = StockReceived - StockSold

This field will always tell you how many of each item you should have in stock at any time.

Your wife will enter the article number (CatNo) and quantity into the file I've been calling "StockSales.fp5" and as she does so, the Inventory field against the relevant item in StockCatalogue.fp5 will automatically update to reflect the sale, and will show the current stock quantity.

Important Information

Terms of Use