Salesforce and other SMB Solutions are coming soon. ×

Expand Field to show all text

St3v1e

Hi, 

I have a tab which I'm using to add a new comment for client communications. My problem is that when the amount of text entered in the comment field exceeds the size of the window, it's hidden from view until I click inside the "Comment" field. At this point it expands so I can read everything.

Is there a way to automatically expand these fields to show all text contained inside them without having to click inside the field1579087596_ScreenShot2020-12-01at9_21_59PM.thumb.png.69579062e3f6dccf108685de1dd242ae.png?

The comments are sorted so the most recent go to the top - but when I open the DB, the tab opens and shows the oldest first. I'd like to be able to see the newest (full text) field first.

Edited by St3v1e

You said the comments are sorted so the most recent go to the top.  But then you contradict that (or at least you confuse me quite a bit) by saying that when you open the DB the tab opens and shows the oldest first.  I assume by "first" you mean "at the top", yes?

When you say the comments "are sorted" so the most recent go to the top, what, exactly, do you mean by "are sorted"?  Do you mean you set it up structurally so that they're *always* sorted that way?  Or do you mean that you manually sort them to get them that way?  If you mean you set it up structurall so they're *always* sorted that way, how are you doing it and why isn't it that way when the database first opens?  What do you do about it to get them sorted?

AHunter3 - yes I did contradict myself - apologies. I have set the Portal Setup to Sort by "Creation timestamp" in descending order so I see the newest comment at the top.

Hope that clarifies things regarding the sorting?

Mu main issue is that each time I need to follow up with a client, I have to click in each field to see all the text for that comment. I'd like to be able to see all text in each comment so that i simply scroll down to follow the comment trail.

Is that possible to "auto-expand" each field to accommodate all text within the field?

Thanks

As far as I'm aware, FileMaker has (still)not, as of yet, made fields formattable in such a way that they resize dynamically in Browse Mode depending on how much text is in them.

What you might consider doing is making a Form View that shows just the single portal record with the fields formatted to take up the screen.  Then in the layout you've got now, attach a button to the comment field you're using that pops open a new window showing related records only of the portal record, using your new big-field layout.

Thanks for the suggestion, but if I understand you correctly, that would mean that I can see all of the text, but not as a complete "list" in one go? I'd need to click the button to open a new window for each comment?

Not entirely, no.  If you click the button to open a new window for the FIRST message in the series, you'd see one message on screen, but you could use the "rolodex" icon to go on to the next message and then the one after that, and read them all.

This thread is quite old. Please start a new thread rather than reviving this one.