Salesforce and other SMB Solutions are coming soon. ×

"Insert Text" step won't allow me to change

neilsteven

I have a wine website that I use FMPro to build my content.  Every year I add a new vintage so I duplicate my current year (2020) then add 2021.  When I click the "Insert Text" step FMPro dings as though I did something wrong (there is no dialog box) then I can't do anything else until I hit "esc" key.

I have tried recreating the script but when I 'insert text' it does it again.  Any idea what I am doing wrong?  

Thanks
Neil

a) I can't imagine still using Insert Text in this post-FileMaker-2 era.  I embraced Set Field as of FileMaker 3.  

b) Can you post your entire script?  Screen shot(s) will do if you can't upload a PDF or something.

c) Seems like you could create a script that duplicates records(s) and does Set Field [YourTable::DateField; Let([mm=month (YourTable::Datefield); dd= day (YourTable::Datefield); yy= year (YourTable::DateField)]; Date (mm;dd;;yy+1) )

c2) Or, if the year field is not a date field, just Set Field [YourTable::Year; YourTable::Year+1]

Thanks AHunter3!  Sorry for the delay. 

I am old school and don't have any programming background.  Just fell in love with FM in 97 and haven't learned the new tools.  Fyi, using FMPro16.

image.png.83c3c2173c65c2f7cb83b043631cdda2.png

Thanks again!

Make a backup of your script (I always do that).

Then replace your script steps in the live version with this:

Set Field [WineRelease Current::Releases Jan 2020 with Winery Name [WineRelease Current::Releases Jan 2020 with Winery Name & Left (" "; Length (WineRelease Current::Releases Jan 2020 with Winery Name)) & "<!-- Jan 2020 --><li><b>;</b> " & WineRelease Wineries Current::Releases Jan 2021]

Set Field [WineRelease Wineries Current::Releases Jan 2021 With Winery Name; WineRelease Wineries Current::Winery Name HTML]

Copy [Select; WineRelease Wineries Current::Releases Jan 2021 With Winery Name]

Are you comfortable uploading a copy of your database for me to look at?

EDITED TO ADD: 

Your first step is set up mostly correct but you clicked the Repetition field and entered WineRelease Wineeries Current::Relea... something-or-other.  That doesn't belong in there.  

Your second step in your new version of script doesn't set the field to anything.  Step one does but step two doesn't.  You need to set it to WineRelease Wineries Current::Winery Name HTML

Thanks.  How do I get all the commands "Set Field [WineRelease Current::Releases Jan 2020 with Winery Name [WineRelease Current::Releases Jan 2020 with Winery Name & Left (" "; Length (WineRelease Current::Releases Jan 2020 with Winery Name)) & "<!-- Jan 2020 --><li><b>;</b> " & WineRelease Wineries Current::Releases Jan 2021]" in one "set field" script?

In the second step, how do I set it to something?  

I can share my db with you, but I can't email you as I get a "your email box if full" although there is only one email in my inbox.  So I emailed the site owner to fix.  

Stay tuned.

Since you say you're using FileMaker 16:

When you highlight a "Set Field" script step, you should see somethign that looks kind of like a gear-wheel at the far right.  click on the gear-wheel.

You should get a pop-up dialog that says "Specify target field" with a "Specify..." button to the right of it, AND

Directly below that you should see "Calculated Result:" and another "Specify..." button to the right of THAT.

Like so:

724051305_Specifypopups.jpg.232986588e8f3a793aa8b3bfd3888ede.jpg

a) Click the top "Specify" button to pick what field to set.

b) Click the bottom "Specify" button to tell it what to set it to.

image.png.72c913e854bac37ef562528eb899046e.png

That results in just "test" as it is replacing contents of the field based on the last script.  How do I not 'replace contents'?

image.png.63cd4728328262efdabb8004122341ba.png

Not comfortable uploading my db publicly. 

That results in just "test" as it is replacing contents of the field based on the last script.  How do I not 'replace contents'?

Set Field [AnyTable::AnyField; AnyTable::AnyField & " Additional Stuff You want to Add To It"]

or in this case,

Set Field [WineRelease Wineries Current::Releases Jan 2021 with Winery Name; WineRelease Wineries Current::Releases Jan 2021 with Winery Name & WineRelease Wineries Current::Releases Jan 2021]

This thread is quite old. Please start a new thread rather than reviving this one.