MikeL

Moving from 12 to 18 issue

MikeL

I've been using FM 12 Server and running the applications on workstations for quite a while now. Being really busy, I haven't had the time for upgrading. If I want to start migrating, will the following work? I have one machine with the fm12 server, workstations with fm12 and fm 12 advanced. Can I purchase a new computer running windows 10, install fm server 18 on it, then install fm18 on the workstations. Then I can slowly move over the applications from the fm 12 server to the new fm 18 server and access that application using fm 18 on my workstation. That would mean simultaneously having 12 and 18 on each workstation and using 12 for apps on the 12 server and 18 for the apps on the 18 server. Would this all work? If not, any recommendations where I don't have to do it all at once? Thanks for any help.

Mike

Josh Ormond

I would take a backup copy of your files, test them with FileMaker 18. If everything works, just move to 18. It is the same file format. So, theoretically, it should work...obviously test it, to remove all doubt.

MikeL

I would love to do it that way. However, I'm extremely busy here in school, and to upgrade the server and all 10 workstations at the same time needs a lot more time than I have at one time. That's why I was wondering if I can have both 12 and 18 working at the same time on each workstation so I can keep using 12 and slowly implement 18. Will they both work or will 18 wipe out or cause problems with 12?

Mike

AHunter3

I have always had a long array of different FileMaker versions on whatever was my current machine.  This laptop has 12, 13, 14, 15, and 17 installed.  The PowerBook that preceded it had everything from FileMaker 7 to 12 (and 3-6 in "Classic").  I never know how old the databases I'm asked to work on will be. (I've even had reason to crank up FileMaker Plus within a vMac editor to work on files from floppies).

I have far less familiarity with Windows PCs but unless they fight over DLL files or something it should work the same way there.

Josh Ormond

FileMaker 12 will not connect to FileMaker Server 18. FileMaker 18 will not connect to FileMaker Server 12. So that means for both to work, you need 2 servers, and that means you don't have one data source. 

16-18 will connect fine with each other. Noting that some features are specific to versions, so you need to be careful about which features you use. Which should be fine if everything is compatible with 12.

MikeL
On ‎1‎/‎10‎/‎2020 at 1:04 PM, Josh Ormond said:

FileMaker 12 will not connect to FileMaker Server 18. FileMaker 18 will not connect to FileMaker Server 12. So that means for both to work, you need 2 servers, and that means you don't have one data source. 

16-18 will connect fine with each other. Noting that some features are specific to versions, so you need to be careful about which features you use. Which should be fine if everything is compatible with 12.

Right. So I want to keep the 12 server, buy a new PC for the 18 server (can a plain PC with windows 10 work?). Then I can take a 12 file and move it to the 18 server. If I can have FM12 and FM18 both running on my workstation PC's we can then open the files not moved over as well as the files we move over slowly. Does this make sense and will it work?

Josh Ormond

From the support side, Windows 10 is a consumer OS, not a server OS. If you get it to install, somethings may not work correctly, and the OS is not tuned to deal with multiple streams coming in from multiple users the same way. If you have to call Claris to get support, they won't even help you until you are on a supported OS.

What you need depends on the number of users, along with how the custom app is built, and what your users are doing.

It's hard to know all of the variables in your scenario, but it sounds like a staggered move could work. Testing is the only sure way to know.

MikeL
1 hour ago, Josh Ormond said:

From the support side, Windows 10 is a consumer OS, not a server OS. If you get it to install, somethings may not work correctly, and the OS is not tuned to deal with multiple streams coming in from multiple users the same way. If you have to call Claris to get support, they won't even help you until you are on a supported OS.

What you need depends on the number of users, along with how the custom app is built, and what your users are doing.

It's hard to know all of the variables in your scenario, but it sounds like a staggered move could work. Testing is the only sure way to know.

Thanks a lot.