Hershy_s

Parameters

Hershy_s

I'm running a script from a 2nd database and I need two parameters in the 2nd script from the first database.

Is there a neat way of accomplishing this chore.

Thanks 

Steve Martino

Uhhhhhhhhhhh....what?

Don't you think you should provide a little more information?

You have 2 connected databases?  If so, how are they connected (relationship graph)

Which 2 parameters?  Where are the parameters?  How do you find the parameters?

And on and on...

Josh Ormond

There several ways to pass multiple parameters. A lot depends on your own comfort with different techniques.

Since you are, I'm assuming, using 16, you can use the JSON functions. Or you can just pass a list. Up to you.

Here is the setup, for the JSON approach, you enter this in the script parameter field in the dialog where you set the script.:

JSONSetElement ( 
	"{}" ; 
	[ "first" ; People::firstName ; JSONString ] ; 
	[ "last" ; People::lastName ; JSONString ] ; 
	[ "city" ; Peope::city ; JSONString ] 
)
  • "first" is just a name for the value. Just describe what the data is to you.
  • People::firstName is a field reference that will send the value from that field.
  • JSONString is the JSON data type. Type it out, no quotes. There is also: JSONNumber, JSONObject, JSONArray, JSONBoolean, etc.

In the script, in the file where it runs, you can use 1 or 2 lines to retrieve each script parameter. I usually do the 2 step process, because it's easier to debug.

These are the script steps, with the parameter name and Specify calculation dialog fields.

Set Variable [ $parameter ; Get ( ScriptParameter ) ]
Set Variable [ $first ; JSONGetElement ( $parameter ; "first" ) ]
Set Variable [ $last ; JSONGetElement ( $parameter ; "last" ) ]
Set Variable [ $city ; JSONGetElement ( $parameter ; "city" ) ]

I'll let you digest that, and ask questions about anything you need help with.

AHunter3

I just call a script with a parameter that has a hard return.  On the other end, I bust the output of Get(ScriptParameter) into the part before the hard return and the part after it.

Or if I want to pass six or seven params, same idea, use GetValue on the outcome of Get(ScriptParameter) and nail down a whole slew of passed parameters.