tbcomputerguy

InstallOnTimer question

tbcomputerguy

I have this little app that uses google sheets as its base for the data.  When the app starts, it runs a script that downloads via insert from url a google sheet and stores it in a container field.  it parses it all out into fields etc.  As you can see in the pic, the bottom line in yellow shows the current dance.  done by comparing current time against another table via join.  This value is derived by a InsertOnTimer script that runs every 15 seconds and flushes the join to keep current dance value at the top.  My problem is, when there is a change in the spreadsheet (btw this is the clients choice of storage) I need another timer to run in the background that checks every 15 mins or so and notifies there is an update.  I have the update script working seamlessly..about 10 to 15 seconds for 810 records and 7 fields,  and can do this update manually as well from the preferences screen.  I can't for the life of me get the timer to run to check for updates.  I understand 1 window 1 timer.  I think it would be nice to notify the users of the change in data.  I have tried to used the push notification as well...again works but will not kick because one window one timer.  And I have read that the timers are windows based and not layout based..

FORFORUM.PNG

Josh Ormond

For the script that checks the time, have it run 2 scripts using Perform Script.

Script 1: Checks for updates every 15 mins. Set a Global Variable that holds the last update check. If it's been 15 mins, run the rest of the script, if not, Exit Script.

Script 2: Runs your other script.

• Like 1

tbcomputerguy

Should I run this using an OnOpen as the first script to run when user opens the app or just on this particular layout?

DAve

Josh Ormond

I don’t know the answer to that. How do you need it to work?

tbcomputerguy

I think I got it working.  Just checking on the mobile device.  Thanks.

Dave

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please start a new thread rather than reviving this one.